1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird messed up. First problem no incoming emails.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by johnsonboswell, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnsonboswell

johnsonboswell Thread Starter

No incoming email on Thunderbird. I can send out. I have Dream Mail and it is set to leave messages on the server. I have a lot of messages stored in folders in Thunderbird and want to keep them. First the Trash Folder shows a count but the messages don't show. In addition, the program created some additional In boxes under Local programs I think. I am perplexed and have trouble adjusting to Dream Mail.

Can my Thunderbird be straightened out?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1982 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 296174 MB, Free - 106175 MB; D: Total - 180716 MB, Free - 99189 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you ever empty Trash? Compact Folders?

With Thunderbird closed delete the Trash.msf file from your profile. It will be regenerated when you open Thunderbird, and that may fix your problem with Trash.

Do you get an error when trying to fetch new mail?

3. johnsonboswell

Thank you for answering Terry. I hope I am doing this right. :eek:

Yes i do emty my trash and compact. i deleted the trash.msf but couldn't find it without the program open adn so i did it open. I am having trouble finding where I am supposed to be replying.

Oh, and no, i don't get an error message when i try to download the email.

thank you. hope i did this right.

4. johnsonboswell

no change. of course i deleted the trash.msf with program open. maybe i can find it manually. your instructions didn't absolutely mesh with my computer and i got lost trying to guess.

5. johnsonboswell

okay terry, i give up on trial and error. that's how i always get into trouble.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My "instructions" were far from complete. :)

In Folder Options (get there from Control Panel or Windows Explorer menu item) - View tab - uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' (and maybe also have to select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives').

Then you'll find Trash.msf in <drive>\Documents and Settings\<your account>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random 8 characters>.default\Mail or ImapMail\<folder that identifies your Dream Mail>

I don't know why no new mail; thought maybe your folders were "too full" but doubt that's the case since you do compact them. Possibly Dream Mail is having server problems. If they have web mail access have you tried that? Or contacted them?

7. johnsonboswell

Terry, we have success on the trash folder.

Now, you thought my folders might be too full. they are some of them really full. they are subfolders under archives. Now remember this is in thunderbird, not dream mail. if i can straighten up thunderbird i will only use dream mail to clean junk off the server.

So, if i go to all the work of clearing subdividing those into folders of 150 to 250 mails each, do you think it might work?

Also, those inserted extra in boxes... if i send those emails into the main inbox, do you think i can then delete the extra inboxes? That would be heavenly...

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you are talking about Thunderbird I had assumed that Dream Mail was a mail service. Now doing a search I see that it apparently is an email client. I don't understand how you are using both clients and don't have any other ideas on your Thunderbird issues.

9. johnsonboswell

well terry, the thunderbird group answers about every few months if you don't understand what they are saying. i didn't have knowledge to carry out the instructions. so i had to have something that worked and looked on about.com. chose dream mail. the author is chinese and doesn't always explain things. i can't even find all it's settings. it quickly and intuitively brought in thousands of stored messages from the server. but i don't know if it is compatible if i should happen to upgrade or get another computer.

it organizes well but in a way not compatible with my mental and organizational ideas. you can't set a default font for your outgoing mail. it is very difficult in several ways. so i disabled thunderbird and am wokring on cutting down folder sizes, or if i want to search one of my messages. otherwise i am struggling and confused and getting hand injuries from repetitive us from the nice new dream mail.

it will, with one stroke clear both local and server message. there is a lot to like about it, but i just can't visaully adjust to it. so that is why. it is a week today and i am pretty confused and it is just something else to do that i don't hav time for.

i want to go back to thunderbird. more like the old outlook express. the webmail on the server goes at a snails pace.

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If subfolders are opening and displaying OK, you don't need to do anything with them .
    I'm not sure what you mean by "extra Inboxes". Does all new mail come in to the global Inbox under Local Folders, or does it come in to an Inbox for each account?
    What I mean by that is, if you use the Global Local Folders account for all your mail accounts, all you'll see in the left folder tree is the Local Folders account with Inbox, Sent, etc. under it.

If you have each account separated (you don't use the global), in the left folder tree you will have your account with Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc under it and below that will be the next account with it's own Inbox, Sent, etc. In this case, each Inbox is a working Inbox for the account it's under.

Either way, you don't want to add mail into an Inbox. Better to create new folders (they can be subfolders of the Inbox) and move the mail into them. You want to keep your Inbox as empty as practical by directing messages to other folders with rules or by manually moving them. The Inbox should only be used for incoming mail and not storage.

11. johnsonboswell

thanks for answering, throoper.

A tech repair guy put into effect that there is a global acct with my email. under it is an inbox. under it is a trash bin. i just test deleted a file from that inbox and it went into trash and it shows up.

the settings say there is no account associated with local folders.

going down the left side of the page, then there is the local folders, followed by inbox, drafts, sent archives. i ahve several years of storage under there. i also have my outlook express mails that were imported when outlook express was removed. in one or more of my storage folders there is a subfolder... called inbox... and they seem to be clones of past existing inboxes. and finally at the bottom oof all that there is another trash folder.

I archive my mail by years using subfolders. there is a group in a subfolder. mail from more than one and it has a subfolder Inbox. i guess it is the last of the "extra" inboxes unless we count the global and the local folders as being one inbox extra. i am going to delete or archive the inbox contents into other 2013 boxes for storage and delete that box.

what is my next logical step?

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It sounds like the "extra" inboxes are just Imports from OE. As long as they are just subfolders of another folder, they can be ignored as they don't have anything to do with new mail. They are just common storage folders.
    If they duplicate messages you have elsewhere, you can delete them or whatever you want with them. They aren't affecting Thunderbird's operation.

For the original problem of not receiving mail, have you checked your incoming settings?
    Who's the mail account with? It's the part of your email address after the @, eg: @verizon.com, @yahoo.com, etc.
    Let me know and I'll check for the proper settings. It's quite possible they may be requiring a different server or port now.

13. johnsonboswell

The import from OE was about three years ago. This happened a couple of months ago and they are duplicates but impossible to trace, but you say they are affecting nothing.

the isp checked them also but they don't support thunderbird. their webmail is so unusable. the isp is fuse.net -- they wanted $14.00 every month just to do it once. premium support and i am poor. or i would never still be running XP.

are you saying that i should only be using the local files acct instead of the global one? would that help? that's how it was before my second big virus attack. actually i was hacked. it has been a nightmare.

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Does your email address end in @fuse.net or @zoomtown.net?

EDIT:That should be @zoomtown.com, not net.

15. johnsonboswell

it's fuse.net

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice