1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird posts outgoing messages in my inbox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bobeconomist, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobeconomist

bobeconomist Thread Starter

I've been having this problem for several months. I use gmail and whenever I send a message in Thunderbird, it shows up in my thunderbird inbox. The email gets sent appropriately, but the duplicate copies that shows up in my inbox just adds clutter for me to delete. Is there a way to prevent that from happening. thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you double checked your Account settings (Copies & Folders section)? How have you configured the "When sending messages, automatically" part?

3. bobeconomist

In that section, I checked the "Place a copy in" box and selected the "sent" folder on with my gmail address in the accompanying box. Should I be doing something else? Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's what you should be doing. :)

But it seems to be acting as if something different. I'd try the "trick" of selecting something different, OK out of Account Settings, send a test msg., then go back in and set it correctly again. Sometimes that will wake a program up.

5. hewee

hewee

Maybe make the change and close Thunderbird down and then open it and make the change again and close it. Then open it and see if it works.\

I do this way because you want it to save the setting and not have any of the old setting in the memory that seems to work better Terry.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's even better. Good point, hewee. :)

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

If you're still getting a copy of sent messages showing up in the Inbox in TB, check your Server Settings and see if you have the User Name prefixed with recent:, eg. recent:[email protected].

When sending mail through the gmail smtp server, a copy goes into the gmail Sent folder and it shows in the All Mail, which the recent: prefix treats as new mail and downloads it to the TB Inbox.
    Solution for that is to not have TB save a copy and create a rule to direct the incoming Sent message from the Inbox to the Sent folder in TB so you don't wind up with duplicates in the Sent folder.

8. bobeconomist

Hi throoper. my username in settings does have the "recent" prefix. Should I remove that? I'm not sure how to create that rule you referred to. Also, should I do anything in the gmail settings? Thanks

9. hewee

hewee

Yes and it seems many times in the pass I had to use it with dealing with passwords the most. Trouble is not as bad as it use to be in the pass where changing a pass word would not take and you have to delete the old one and save and close down.

10. throoper

I would leave the recent prefix and use a filter to direct it to the Sent folder.

A little explanation of the Google POP server:
    When a message is downloaded from a normal POP server, TB keeps track of it so it doesn't get downloaded again.
    If you set up a client (TB or other) on a different computer, it won't have the popstate file that kept track and the mail on the server will download to the new client installation.
    With the Google POP server, Google keeps track. Once it's been downloaded, Google will not allow it to download to another installation or device. The mail is still on the server, but you can no longer get it to a client.
    The recent prefix bypasses that restriction and treats the mail like a normal server. Unlimited downloads to different computers and clients and the client has control of if it's been downloaded. If you ever lose all the mail in your Inbox, you can simply delete your popstate.dat file and with the recent prefix everything will download again as new mail.

The reason I say to leave recent is that all mail that's been downloaded with that recent server prefix is still available for download one time without the prefix. In short, everything on the server will dump into your Inbox again (makes an absolute mess).
    I've always set up Gmail on clients with the recent since it makes it act like a normal server and gives a lot more flexibility if setting up other computers or devices.

The filter is very simple to create.
    Open the Sent message that came into the Inbox, right click the From: line (it should be your address) and select "Create filter from...".
    The Filter Rules box will open.
    Type a name at the top for the filter.
    Coming from the "Create filter from..." menu item should automatically fill in the criteria (From, Is, Your address).
    In the "Perform these actions" section, set it to "Move message to" and select the Sent folder on the "Choose folder" line.
    Click OK and you're done.
    See the attachment for what it should look like (with YOUR actual address in the criteria of course).

Send yourself a message and see if the copy directs to the Sent folder.
    So you don't wind up with TB also saving a Sent copy, go into the Account Settings>Copies and folders>and UNCHECK the "Place a copy in" in the sending section.

Attached Files:

11. bobeconomist

Hey throoper. The filter redirect to sent folder worked like a charm. Thanks so much. Problem solved.

12. throoper

You're welcome. (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice