1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SilverSurf, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SilverSurf

SilverSurf Thread Starter

Hello All

Have been using Thunderbird as my mail program for a few months. I now want to go back to Outlook Express. How do I go about moving all information from Thunderbird to Outlook Express?

Regards
    SilverSurf

2. airborne17

airborne17 Banned

Well Silver I will throw in my towel for what it is worth.

Outlook Express is a very old system, bordering on ancient. I use it regularly for a few Emails which I consider exclusive, OE has never given one iota of trouble in over 12 years. I would never use OE for reasonable volume traffic, it is far too old.

I would suggest you forget importing Thunderbird files to OE. The process is a minefield. There are botched up programs available on the web for doing such an import, but on reading the write-up, it looks like a bundle of trouble and complicated messing about. Me ? No thanks.

I have two Gmail accounts - one alias and one real (you can have more) and use Gmail for any serious messages. Gmail is perfect and bang up-to-date with modern developments - you can`t beat Google for being on top of their game. Gmail also hides your IP from the recipient as it uses Google proxies.

Then I have Microsoft's Outlook.com, 5 accounts - 4 alias and 1 real. This system is also perfect with all the modern trappings attached.

You can have all the multiple accounts real if you like, with name variations to serve different purposes.

I also have Yahoo. not bad, but I do not use it much, it seems sluggish and not all that friendly. I do not recommend Yahoo, I find it an irritating program bombarded with ads and Yahoo mails of no interest. Bit of a nuisance.

And I have Thunderbird. This is good and up-to-date with all you need in todays world. I used TB for several months with absolutely no problems. In fact I like it very much.

So my advice is - Forget this TB to OE importing. It will only end up in tears. In fact forget OE, it is an antique.

I recommend the following in order of preference :
    1. Gmail - Google - excellent.
    2. Outlook.com - Microsoft - very good.
    3. Thunderbird.- very good.

There is not much to choose between Outlook.com and Thunderbird, I just prefer Outlook.com by a slim decider.

They are all freebies and all work superbly.

3. SilverSurf

SilverSurf Thread Starter

Hello airborne17

Thank you for a very detailed reply. Have been looking around the Internet, and as you rightly say "it looks like a bundle of trouble and complicated messing about". Have decided not to use Outlook Express, and Thunderbird just doesn't do what I want, so I am going with Outlook. Thanks again.

Regards SilverSurf

4. airborne17

airborne17 Banned

As I said, I have Outlook.com which is slightly different to Outlook. I think Outlook needs you to have the MS Office system installed and I do not have it. The two programs must be very similar in style and technique..

With my Outlook.com you can have about 8 different accounts with a few clicks of the mouse. Its easy.

If all these accounts are under your own name e.g John 1, John 2, John 3 etc. then your account name can be your own name. The same account name applies to every address.

This is ridiculous if you want alias`s. No point in having several alias Email addresses with the same account name printed on the sent emails, especially if it is your own name.

To get over this, I have entered my account name as Sent Message, then it at least makes sense.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice