1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Time For A New Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frank4d, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I woke this morning to find an error that another computer on the network has a duplicate IP address. I tried ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, same thing. Rebooted the router and my computer, same thing. I gave my computer a static IP for now.

Edit: I forgot to mention, when I tried using the Windows 7 repair wizard, it said it could not repair the problem and assigned a 169.254.x.x address instead of getting an IP from the router. The router DHCP table shows addresses available, so should not have been a problem.

Then my daughter reported a similar problem... her laptop can connect to the wireless router SSID (a second router configured as a switch), but no internet connection. I configured her with a static IP too until I straighten this out.

Then my son's computer can't connect to the internet either. I rebooted the routers again and now he has an internet connection, but can't get the other two computers (daughter and mine) to get a dynamic IP... still get the duplicate IP error.

Thinking my trusty Netgear RT314 router is on its way out?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like its stopped providing a DHCP service
    It could just be a setting glitch - have you logged into the router and checked that
    dhcp is enabled
    and also checked the range of dhcp provided

3. Frank4d

I logged into the router and verified DHCP is enabled and is set to provide 10 addresses, of which the DHCP table shows 5 used. What I am seeing looks like it is trying to give 192.168.0.4 to multiple computers. I will turn off all networked devices and factory reset the router... maybe that will help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest router firmware; then reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure. Sometimes that jolts them into behaving--at least for a while longer.

5. Frank4d

I think this is solved for now. I learned while I was going around the house re-configuring hardware, my 17 year old son was doing the same thing without my knowledge. What resulted was two routers with the same IP address, two DHCP servers, and wireless set to default with no security.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) thanks for letting us know

we had the same issue at work years ago, and was down for about 3 days - two dhcp servers had overlapping ranges and once X number of people signed on on the office (which only had 4 or 5 perm staff, so number varied every day as people dropped in to work) the whole thing started crashing and a LOT of peoples laptops where taken into IT to be rebuilt .....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice