1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Time for new virus protection

Discussion in 'General Security' started by PSCO2007, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have been using AVG (paid version) and it has been nothing but a headache.
    I was just infected with a major virus and AVG did nothing to stop it.
    Trying to communicate with them ( only by e-mail) is an adventure.
    I would like opinions on a good Virus Program - paid is OK- one that will protect me and also allow me to TALK to someone there if I have a problem.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. alexcarlson

alexcarlson

Hi,
    Quick Heal is a good anti Virus. It will protect your pc and also allow you to talk someone if you have any problem.

Thanks

3. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,Alex,
    I went to their Website and they have many different programs.
    I am using Windows Firewall, so I don't know which program would be best.
    I simply want to be covered against all these new viruses coming out daily.
    Which of their programs do you use? Also, does this program slow PC speed?
    Thanks,
    Paul

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    There are a lot of very good AV programs out there, and you really ought to look them up yourself. AVG is considered fairly good, though somewhat bloated and I've also found it necessary on occasion to move files (correctly) on peoples flashes to a folder "probable viruses" when AVG didn't have them in the definitions. I have personally switched to Avast Free. If you want something good even if you pay for it, Kaperseky is often highly recomended (although unfortunately more expensive than most).

If I may suggest something, although a good antivirus is invaluable in safeguarding your computer, there are other measures you can take to keep yourself safe. Care regarding where you browse and what you download, as well as avoiding suspicious E-mail attatchments, is equally important. It is possible to disable the autorun feature that many flashdrive viruses make use of to spread. A program called Sandboxie can be used to oversee programs you do not trust including your web browser(you do not trust your web browser, as it is partially under the control of the remote computer).

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I would say Eset NOD32. I just don't know how available they'd be to talk. Their 'contact us' section seems to be online only.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're looking for an anti-virus program that's going to protect your computer 100% from getting infected, you're not going to find one. Spyware and malware infections are more common now than virus infections. What are you using to combat and remove them?

Your computing habits and practices also play a big part in it. If your browsing habits are unsafe and you visit dubious sites, your computer will get infected.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

8. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Here's my question: AVG gives you a "green check mark" if the site is safe and a "red check mark" if not. Since I only go to sites that are "green" why am I becoming infected anyway?

9. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

I see - just stay off the Internet. Great advice.

10. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated.

11. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

No problem :)

I can understand your frustration. The first AV I ever had was McAfee and I remember how horrible it was just to get to speak with somebody. In fact, I think they wanted to charge me. Wonder if they still do that....

Just wondering, did you have any other protection programs on your computer besides AVG? It is unfortunate that there is no single AV program out there that will catch every virus.

But if you run a good AV, along with one or two good anti-spyware programs, and keep up with your Windows updates, Java updates, etc....you have a good chance of being better protected.

12. PSCO2007

PSCO2007 Thread Starter

I realize that you can only have one Virus program -so I only have AVG. I run Maleware Bytes and Superantiwpyware on a fairly regular basis. I also try to visit only sites that AVG says are safe - did me no good. Thanks again for your reply - Hope I'm luckier in the future. By the way, the only reason I found out I was infected was when I tried to go to Update site and was blocked and Restore Rollback was also blocked. I guess the criminals have more savvy than the esteemed Virus Programs.

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since you only go to sites which AVG marks as good, then next thing you should do is to also remember to update your browser. All the browsers come up with updates every now and then, especially when they have to fix a security vulnerability. Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera recently came out with patches. Running a non-up-to-date browser is plain suicidal. Most, but not all, hacked web sites rely on previously known security vulnerabilities to infect machines. Also watch out of plugin updates too, like Adobe Flash.

14. antech

antech Banned

Are you willing to pay for an antivirus?
    Try kaspersky internet security then,
    and also use a combination of SAS and MalwareBytes + Spybot and Ad-aware.
    Keeping them updated is the best way to remain protected

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Having 4 programs to combat spyware and malware is over-kill.

Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(MBAM) and SUPERAntiSpyware(SAS) because they're more user-friendly and do a better job and are lighter on system resources.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice