1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: To burn or copy to disk?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Athena12, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

I want to copy some photographs and short videos to a rewritable CD-RW to send to a friend. Is it satisfactory to merely copy the files across or must I burn to disk?
    I don't understand the value of burning to disk - before 'burning' became an option it was a simple matter of sliding a picture from one's document files to a disk.
    If I do not burn, does this mean my contact will not be able to access the pictures/videos?
    Sorry to be so dumb but I have found that over the years, technology has left me somewhat behind! :(
    Would appreciate some pointers.
    Thanks a lot folks...

2. valis

valis Moderator

well, when you 'copy' data to a disk, you are actually 'burning' the data to the disk. So it's basically one and the same. :)

3. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

Hi Valis, thanks for your response.
    I have attempted 'burning', but it always seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut - and takes an age. I wonder why they introduced burning, when copying or sliding over did the same job and is done in a nanosecond. It's quite confusing for us oldies you know...

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot simply "slide" or "move" personal data(documents, music, videos, photos, etc.) from a location in your computer to a CD-R(W) or DVD-R(W).

You need to "burn" that data to the disc with a disc burning program.

Unless you already have one, I recommend the free and user-friendly

Ashampoo Burning Studio Free 4.83.4312

If you click the "Screenshot" link, you can see what its main window looks like.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

We used to be able to copy and paste, or to have the C drive open in one screen with the E or F drive open in the other and slide over. Why did the technology change? Is it a case of security? It seems a bit over the top to have to 'burn' if this is not the case.

Does burning mean that the disk cannot be over-written or can one still move or delete files/documents and re-use the disk, if needed?
    Will the recipient be able to access the photographs and videos by just opening them up in the usual fashion?

Sorry about all these questions...

6. valis

valis Moderator

nope, it's not security. The technology hasn't changed; when you were dragging and dropping files, you were most likely moving them between partitions on the hard drive. In order to get data onto a portable medium such as DVD/CD, you will need to burn the data into the disk.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You may be referring to floppy disks versus CD's and DVD's.

You can move or copy data to a floppy disk, but it needs to be burned to a CD or DVD.

----------------------------------------------------------

CD-R and DVD-R discs cannot be re-used.

CD-RW and DVD-RW discs can be re-used.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's always best to "verify" and/or "finalize" a disc after the burn so it can be read and viewable in more computers and CD/DVD drives.

------------------------------------------------------------

8. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

Oh, OK, thanks for all that, both of you. Will turn my mind to burning, then. Believe my fairly new flat screen Toshiba has all the software available for burning - at least, it asks me if I want to burn once I've identified the data I want to put onto the disk.

Bet you two are smiling at my poor IT skills - but I was in bed with M.E. for eight years:(, so things passed me by somewhat - am now playing catch-up!
    Cheers to both - will mark as solved, with my thanks.:cool:

9. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

Oh yes, I WAS thinking of floppies - absolutely, how silly of me. Thanks again for clearing the fog!(y)

10. valis

valis Moderator

no worres; I still have some of them laying around. Heck, I made my son's first mobile out of the old 5.5" floppies. :)

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Glad to have helped. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice