1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: To help protect your computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brillser, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I just logged in as admin, not ten mins ago, to find this waiting for me:

To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.

Name : Generic Host Process For Win32 Services.

Publisher : Microsoft Corporation.

There is then an option to "close this message" which I did not choose.

Beneath that option is a line and beneath that line it states:

Data Execution Prevention Helps Protect Against damage from viruses and other security threats.
    Then this part is a link to the help and support console, it asks: What should I do?

I clicked on the "What Should I Do" link and got this:

Understanding Data Execution Prevention
    Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.
    Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code—malicious or not—from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.
    DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.
    Is it safe to run a program again if DEP has closed it?
    Yes, but only if you leave DEP turned on for that program. Windows can continue to detect attempts to execute code from protected memory locations and help prevent attacks. In cases where a program does not run correctly with DEP turned on, you can reduce security risks by getting a DEP-compatible version of the program from the software publisher. For more information about what to do after DEP closes a program, click Related Topics.
    How can I tell if DEP is available on my computer?
    1.To open System Properties, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    2.Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.
    3.Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    Note
    By default, DEP is only turned on for essential Windows operating system programs and services. To help protect more programs with DEP, select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.