1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: To Late To Create Recovery Disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sistafatti, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

My son-in-law and I both purchased new Gateway computers last July with Windows7. I created system repair and recovery disks however; he knows very little about computers and didn't do the same. I will have to admit I know little about the system recovery process since I have always had a windows installation disk for previous computers and have not had to fall back on the system recovery process so don't know exactly how it works.

I told him I would assist in creating a system recovery disk for his computer but wonder if it is too late at this date?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should not be to late - you should be able to open the program and run the application to create the DVDs -
    look on your own PC - you should also see the application - not sure about gateway - But other manufacturers like, acer, HP , toshiba, sony - you will find a folder under programs called the name of manufacturer and the program should be there

3. sistafatti

Thanks for the reply. I can find the location to create the DVD's but wondered if the computer being used for 7-8 months before creating the DVD's would cause complications. Perhaps the program just copies the necessary files? This whole "image of your computer operating system" thing baffles me and I just don't understand how it works.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can make the discs - as it uses an area of the harddrive that is reserved and has a copy of the OS when the pc was first loaded - so it will take you back 6-7 months to how it looked when you purchased - and ALL your data LOST - so back that up

This whole "image of your computer operating system" thing baffles me and I just don't understand how it works.
    Operating system is software controlling your pc
    like a car - when you turn the steering wheel - the wheels turn and theres a lot of mechanics in between - so when you click on a button the operating system knows what to do
    so its like a basic car
    applications like msoffice - word - are like the car radio - you load a radio into the car slot thats already made and has the wires to connect up so that's like the operating system knows how to communicate to devices and you may have special cables/or mounts supplied with the radio to work with any make of car - thats like the drivers which work with the application and with the car
    you but another application a cup of coffee - and that works with the coffee cup holder - so the operating system is the coffee cup holder waiting for your coffee and the cup fits

Now if you could imagine this - theres a copy of the car in the boot but cannot be taken out with all the original specs , when it was first delivered to you , but you have changed the car - you have added car mats, seat covers ,changed the tyres for low profile, with white writing on , added a radio , added fog lights
    now you make a copy of the original specifications from the boot storage , so you can take it out the boot , and even if the car is damage - you still have a separate copy of all the specs
    Now you give the CAR and the specs to someone to rebuild
    they give you the car back - just as you purchased it - But without those extras, mats,radio, fog lights etc

Now if you had taken those bits off (copy the data) before you gave the car - you would have them to put back on again

not sure if any of that helps at all or just makes it worse - tried to find a physical thing as an analogy to software

5. sistafatti

Excellent analogy and it did help explain the "image" part of the operating system. I have been so accustomed to having a physical disk of the operating system to re-install Windows if necessary that the "image'" wording went way over my head. Thanks again Etaf.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice