1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tokens/handles/RPC/svchost.exe problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by canyons, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. canyons

canyons Thread Starter

I am having a problem with too many tokens/handles being opened by the svchost.exe process associated solely with the Remote Procedure Call service.

I have just recently installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, and shortly after that, I started having a problem where I couldn't open any application or any file in an open application. When I rebooted, the problem went away for a while, but would eventually come back.

Using Process Explorer, I saw that a svchost.exe process had more than 50,000 handles associated with it. According to Process Explorer, the only service associated with this svchost.exe process is Remote Procedure Call (RPC) [RpcSs].

Once I reboot, there are only a few hundred handles associated with this process, but they increase at a rate of about one per second. About 99% of the new ones are listed in Process Explorer as Type=Token, Name=NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:3e7, Access=0x000F01FF .

These tokens/handles never go away. Once their number increases to about 50,000 or so, I get the problem where I can't open any application or file and I have to reboot.

So, I need some assistance with making this problem stop. I don't know why so many tokens are being opened in the first place or what specifically they are meant to do in this case. I also don't know how to make them go away or at least have the handles close automatically.

Unlike other svchost.exe problems that I've seen posted, I don't get any Windows error messages. Also, it doesn't use much CPU - this particular process always uses 1% of my CPU or less. Finally, it doesn't use much memory - it never even gets close to 100 MB.

2. shturm

shturm

I'm having exactly the same problem and wonder if somebody can help out to identify what exactly causes leakage of these handles.

I see that my computer specs (Inspiron E1705) are very close to the original poster's (Inspiron 9300), so this may be a problem in some of the drivers.

I'm going to reinstall Windows from scratch and while installing drivers check this handle leakage after each driver.

3. shturm

shturm

I found what it is.
    I have Nvidia driver 175.80 (from laptopvideo2go.com) installed, and its service "Nvidia display driver service" (nvsvc32.exe) causes this problem.
    After I disabled this service, the problem disappeared.
    According to many posts in the Internet, it's perfectly fine to disable this service.
    Hope this helps.

4. canyons

canyons Thread Starter

YES! Thank you so much. Disabling that service is the solution for me, too. Without reinstalling Windows like you did, I never would have discovered this solution. That service didn't even list the RPC service as a dependency.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice