1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by 8dalejr.fan, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

2. Wino

Wino

3. 8dalejr.fan

I'm not sure whether I should scoop that one up while the price is that great, or to build one on my own. I've made a list of parts and I don't think I can beat that price. What are your thoughts about iBuyPower?

Are these machines upgradable? My current computer is an 8 year old Dell, which is about as closed-box as you can get. No chance of an upgrade there.

4. Wino

Wino

It has plenty of external bays and internal, 1- PCI Express and PCI available for expansion. Another IBuyPower model has lots of good reviews for user reference which should extend to other models

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227291

Newegg selling and based on reviews, if I were looking for a new computer I'd have to give it serious consideration. Still prefer building my own - so struggle would be my preference or saving money.:)

5. 8dalejr.fan

Thanks for the info!

It seems like somebody just posted a review for the machine in my OP and they're quite happy with it. I'll keep doing a bit of comparison shopping and see what the prices are like if I put it together myself. But boy am I tempted to get it. It seems just as good as my brother's computer and he spent much more than that on parts to put it together himself.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can never do better price-wise by building your own. And upgrades are usually a waste of time and money, too, since the parts end up costing more than a new machine. Buy one all built if you find one you like and a good deal.

Or, you could do like I do and buy "barebone kits" from Tigerdirect.com. They come with various components, but generally they have the CPU and sometimes the graphics card. You can move parts from your old machine to the new kit, or just add the new parts that you want. It definitely brings the price of building your own into the range of being comparable to buying one. If you have the OS, buying one with no OS saves a lot, too.

7. 8dalejr.fan

If I go with this model, should I purchase the service plan ($90) or do you think that would be a waste of money?

And if I want to upgrade a part later, would that interfere/void a service plan?

8. Wino

Wino

Service Plan is a decision you have to make. Personally, I would not, although I have in the past (laptop) and it paid off as it crapped out shortly after the standard warranty expired (this was direct with Gateway years ago). You need to read the terms of the plan - I've read where they will look for just about anything to avoid paying off - read recently one didn't notify them about the problem soon enough - somewhere in TSG threads I believe or could have been PCWorld mag. I simply do not buy the extended warranty plans on anything - appliance, computer, cell, laptop, washer/dryer, etc. - but that's me, and not saying you shouldn't and you are very clear on it's terms and conditions of warranty, it may pay off, or not.

In answer to your modding / upgrade question, I would think it would void your warranty or at least give an excuse not to warranty. In the past I have read various OEM's stating any mods or upgrades would void warranty and not sure whether any still put seals on the case to show if ever opened - I don't know as haven't bought an OEM unit in years since I started building my own.

The standard warranty with Newegg (from what I read) was 30 days (from date of invoice, not when received) with them and anything beyond would be handled by OEM whose warranty is 12 months. Even this is no guarantee you will actually get 12 months. I bought a Lenovo laptop thru Newegg which they had in stock - when I warranty registered with Lenovo I only got 10 months as it was warranted from when Newegg bought it, not me - no longer applies as unit is 2.5 years old and still going.

Good luck in whatever you decide.:

9. 8dalejr.fan

Put in my order. Got the service plan just based on the fact that I killed 2 video cars, 2 disk drives, and a fan with my old desktop from Dell. For only $89, it was worth it IMO (video card is in the $200 range).

Thanks for all your input. I'll mark this one solved.

10. Wino

Wino

Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes with the new machine. I'd like to know if Ibuypower is worthy of recommending to others.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice