1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: too many processes in the Task Manager

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mbuffyinfw, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbuffyinfw

mbuffyinfw Thread Starter

Hi,
    Got 2 questions.

1)I have 68 to 71 processes going in Task Manager.
    I know that has GOT to be too many. How do I know which processes to end? Obviously you don't want to shut down the ones that say "SYSYTEM" beside it. Right?

I have Windows Vista. (I love it. Have had NO problems) Let me know if you need to know anything else.

2)I'm afraid to clean my computer myself and it needs it. I have an air compressor but I don't know how hard of an air stream it produces and I don't know where to blow and where not to.
    How trustworthy are the "GEEKS" at Best Buy? Should I trust the GEEKS to clean my computer? My computer is my baby and I don't know who to trust.

Thanks. Take care.
    m

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to TGF.
    2. Do NOT use an air compressor. Buy a can of compressed air. Static electricity can build up at the air compressor nozzle & toast your boards.

1. Which Vista? 32 or 64 bit? Which SP?
    Download HJT from Trend Micro.
    Install it.
    Go to the Misc Tools section.
    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/4/Ho...cro-HiJackThis-logs-for-malware-analysis.aspx
    Run the startup portion. Post the log here.

FYI.
    Process Explorer is like Task Manager on steroids. You can learn more about your processes using PE than using TM.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you have malware, you will need to report your thread to a moderator & ask her / him to move your thread to the malware removal section of TGF. No need to do that now. I am simply trying to prepare you for the possible action.
    :)

RF123

3. mbuffyinfw

Hey RF123,
    Thanks for repling to my thread.
    Love the saying at the bottom of your reply! I beleive in that whole heartedly.

I have a can of air but I am afraid to use it. It squirts out lots and LOTS of water. What should I do?

In answer to your quesiton, my Vista is a 32 bit.

Excuse my ignorance... what it an SP? System Protection? I have McAfee.
    My internet service has taken good care of my virus protection. My system is clean.

Got another question for you if you have time. Is it true that if you have a dual processor, that means you can take your some 68 processes that show up in TM and divide that in half. So actually I have 34 processes going because I have a dual processor. Kinda like having a 2 piston motor instead of a single; divides the workload between the two. Is that correct?

Thanks again RF123.

m

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Are you sure it is water? If so, recycle the can and buy another; different brand, or same brand but different lot number.

SP, in this instance, means service pack.

Regarding 34 vs 68 processes, no. It is more complicated than that. To fully utilize a dual core processor, the operating system needs to tell the processor how to handle those 68 processes.

RF123

5. mbuffyinfw

The can squirts out a liquid. I bought this can of air because the last one did the same thing. I am told that this is highly condensed water and it is normal.

I have Service Pack 2.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

I think it is unlikely to be normal.

Be sure the room temperature is 72 F to 95 F [ degrees Fahrenheit ].

Air is a gas. Water is a liquid. If the air becomes cold, it can't hold as much water as warmer air.

Water will damage the electronic components inside your computer.

RF123

7. mbuffyinfw

Thanks RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

m:
    You are welcome. Glad TGF was able to assist you.

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice