Solved: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2102 recently JAGGY

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LADoogie

Hi and that's for your help in advance. I have looked all over this forum for help but so far no joy.

Here's the problem : I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E with a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2102.

This drive used to play just fine (before Xmas) . I run DVD Genie and have it region free. I use WinDVD and also have PowerDVD.

It seems to really press the CPU hard now (task manager says 88% or more), and the picture is all jaggy along with the sound. I have tried re-prioritizing the WinDVD or PowerDVD software) and it gets sort of better (of course stopping virtually everything else though)

Recent changes to my laptop are : Windows XP Service PAck 2 from Service PAck1 (which worked fine), cable modem hookup and Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Otherwise it is the same.

I know I am pushing the RAM hard (288Mb maxed out RAM) but the task Manager seems fine for RAM when the DVD is trying to run. It seems to use about 40MB and everything else adds up to about 140Mb.

I checked the drive and the optical bit seems very clean.

Is the drive worn out or can I do some configuration changes to get back to a fully working drive? It seems like the CPU is struggling at the moment (spec - 364Mhz on 18Gb drive).

Ideas ? Checks I can do? Help ?

Thanks,

Doug

Not sure if this helps, but AnyDVD from Slysoft (a region-free player) isn't compatible with SP2. You may be running into problems because of SP2.

LADoogie

Thanks Arcadion -

The region-free part of the whole thing works fine. It seems the drive is the problem due to all of the symptoms I mentioned.

The SP2 thing is a possibility but - how do I know and what are the solutions?

LADoogie

Simple answers are usually the way : I changed the color resolution from 24bit to 16bit and it works fine.

- :) :) :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online