1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba laptop battery loses charge

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKTaber, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

My Toshiba P755-S5198 battery loses charge even when the computer is shut down (not sleep, not hibernation -- powered off by clicking "Shut down" at the Start button). The rate at which it discharges is alarming -- 15-20% per day. I've checked the BIOS to see if by chance something was enabled that would drain it, but nothing is. It's only just over a year old and has always done this.

What's draining the battery?

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    If it has been doing this from the very beginning did you ever check in with warranty about it? One bad cell can cause what you are describing and I would have thought this could have been resolved with Toshiba.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Did not. Didn't really notice until recently because the computer had been going into sleep mode when I closed the lid, so for a long time, I assumed that was why it was draining the battery. But recently I started shutting it down. It's only then that I noticed that it still loses power when shut down.

If its a bad cell, I assume it would lose a noticeable amount of juice even when removed from the computer. . . which I just did this morning. I will put it back in tomorrow and see if it has lost some charge.

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Keep us posted..

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Put the battery back in this morning, so it was out for about 20-22 hours. NO LOSS OF CHARGE (was 100% when I put it back in). So, there appears to be nothing wrong with the battery.

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I would have to agree; but it sure is a shame that it's not under warranty now:( Maybe one of the Tech's will have an idea for you DKTaber.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I found a forum on Toshiba's site. One of the major sub-forums was Batteries and Power, in which I found a couple of old threads dealing with the same issue. The suggested solution was to turn off "Sleep and Charge" in the BIOS; that option apparently draws some power while the computer is in sleep or hibernation. Not sure about its effect when the computer is turned OFF, but I have disabled it, turned the computer off, and unplugged it from the charger as 11am today. Will check it tomorrow and report back here.

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  9. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Just fired the laptop up after being off for 26 hours and not plugged in. Battery was fully charged when it was turned off. Battery (after boot) was 94%. Given that the boot-up itself takes a fair amount of energy, that seem's normal/A-OK with me. So I think turning off the "Sleep and Charge" (which should be renamed "Sleep and Discharge") in the BIOS did the trick.

I have marked the thread as solved.

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for the update DKTaber :)

11. golddust

golddust

Back around the time you got your computer Toshiba replaced my battery which was almost a year old then. They were having a problem with the batteries they were getting - maybe they changed vendors or something. Try calling Toshiba (support number should be on your Computer Properties screen (right click on computer in start menu then click Properties). My battery was only getting two hours instead of the advertised four. I had no problem with them at all. They didn't give me a hard time or anything. They knew!!!

12. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I don't know that there's anything wrong with the battery. I've never left the computer on long enough to run the battery all the way down. My sense is that it would last about 2-2.5 hours. . . but how long a battery charge lasts is highly dependent on the power settings. I'm sure I could get 4 hours out of it if I use eco mode, but that slows the CPU and greatly reduces screen brightness, neither of which I'm happy with. I want full CPU power and a bright screen -- all the time.

Toshiba support claims I have a utility on the computer called "PC Health Monitor" that will tell me (among other things) whether the battery is healthy or not. I'm supposed to be able to access it by typing "health" in the Search bar. Doing so produces only documents and files with the word "health" in them. I downloaded and installed the latest version of that program from their site, but again, "health" in the Search bar doesn't find it and it's not in the TOSHIBA folder. It IS listed in Programs and Features, but I can find no way to access it.

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  14. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Well, I installed it, but am not sure what the figures mean. Its design capacity is 4400mWh, but full charge capacity is only 4222mWh. Under "Levels" (what's that?), it says the "Wear Level" is 5%. Charge level Value is 98%, Min is also 98%, Max is 100%. All of these are with a fully charged battery immediately after unplugging the charger.

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I have a new battery in my old Dell D610 and it shows a 120% charge, which is above the design capacity. My old battery which still holds a 92% charge is showing some wear and of course does not last but only and hour or so; but is good for a backup. Your battery seems to be in pretty good shape showing only a wear level of 5%. Keep in mind this is not 100% accurate; but does give us and idea what is taking place.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice