1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba Laptop Memory Limits

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SDFOX 7, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned Thread Starter

I'm come across several old Toshiba laptops as I think they are very well built and I like to collect them.

According to Toshiba's website, many of them (including my own which I've owned for years) have support for up to 144-160MB RAM (either 16MB onboard + 128MB chip or 32MB onboard + 128MB chip).

However, all of the laptops I have come across only show the 64MB or 128MB, I've never seen "144" or "160". How could this be? I've verified on Toshiba's site that they have onboard memory of either 16MB or 32MB. It's like if there is onboard memory the OS (Windows 95/98) isn't recognizing it.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    it could be the Graphics adapter is set to use 16 or 32 Mb of ram.

3. SDFOX 7

How could you adjust that...it's only a 1-4MB video card?

4. SDFOX 7

I believe I've found the problem.

Upon opening the memory cover, the memory has KTT650/64 printed on it, but has a sticker that says KTT650/32. It appears that Kingston may have made quite a few memory modules with the incorrect spec stamped on the cardon one side, but with the correct sticker on the other.

Once I removed the module, I rebooted the machine into Windows and it showed 32MB RAM. So the test for onboard memory is definitely working.

Considering that Kingston makes great products, I'm really quite surprised that their QC department didn't catch that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice