1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba laptop no boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bicycle bill, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned Thread Starter

Hi folks. I am in a pickle here. I had my Toshiba Tecra M5 laptop all set up to
    use when the time comes to go in a home. I was downloading Microsoft
    updates last night a rather lenghty download so I stepped away for a moment to watch a
    little TV. Well during the download the battery ran out. I plugged in the
    power thinking that the PC would continue with the download but no.
    It set there like a jug of urine and the only way to shut it down was to
    pull the plug. I then plugged in the power and the download did start but froze when
    about half finished. Only option was to pull the plug again.

I have the XP CD but it is not even recognized when I insert it so I can't
    get to the recovery console. Can't enter safe mode. What a bummer. Looks like there is no way
    to resusatate the dead.:mad:

2. tarekch

tarekch

mmm what do you mean XP is not recognized? are you sure that BIOS is set to read CD/DVD ROM prior to booting from HDD?

3. bicycle bill

The XP CD is not recognized read. From what I have read changing the boot order in the BIOS is not necessary. Is that
    correct?

4. tarekch

tarekch

no it is not, you have two options:
    you either press a key during boot which is usually (but not always) F12, or you change the boot order.
    if HDD is before CD then the problem is not XP CD is not recognized rather it is CD boot is not acknowledged.
    try changing the boot order and see if your cd is working

5. bicycle bill

Well I just got the first response from the computer. I removed the bat,held down power button for thirty seconds,inserted the battery and then
    tried a reboot. Now I get a PCI express error. That error is preventing me from entering the BIOS. It pops up before I can select a boot device. Do you have any idea what this means. Am I hosed completely hosed?

6. tarekch

tarekch

i assume you are using a desktop computer, make sure your keyboard is securely attached to the case.

7. bicycle bill

Please. The title of my post is "Toshiba laptop no boot". Know anything about the PCI Express error?

8. tarekch

tarekch

9. bicycle bill

Well appears I am completely hosed. Take a look Here if you are so inclined. The error was there before trying to use CD. My hands are tied. Probably one of the Microsoft updates that crippled my computer.
    Glad this is not my main computer. Thanks for trying to help.

10. tarekch

tarekch

yeah i have read this before, sorry but looks like your gonna have to send it for repairs, try taking other opinions though, i might be mistaken

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930975