1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by primofreek, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. primofreek

primofreek Thread Starter

ok, so i have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4707 that came with windows vista home premium. It had a problem and the hard drive crashed. Well i have several vista disks but dont have any og disks for the computer as it was brought to me to play with. This laptop will not boot from any vista disk i have, but yet it will boot from a windows xp home and xp pro disk no problem. Do any of you know what could be the reason for it not booting from a vista install disk? I have formatted the HDD and it installed xp but i still cant go back and do a clean install of vista. Even placing the vista disc in while xp is up, it doesnt even recognize the dvd in the computer. and yes it has a dvd rom. it will also play a dvd movie but just wont boot from any vista disc. I have tried 5 different discs. any help is appreciated

2. Tankmaster

Tankmaster Banned

Boot from a floppy disc

3. primofreek

this toshiba laptop doesnt have a floppy disk and i dont have a vista or win 7 floppy to boot from anyways

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like something wrong with the Vista Disks if the XP disk boots OK
    does seem unlikely though
    Are you able to try and boot the vista CDs on another PC ?

5. primofreek

yes, the vista disks and the windows 7 disk will boot on other pcs. But the only disk that will boot on this toshiba is xp home and xp pro. and i cant even find drivers for this laptop since it seems they only came with vista. I mean i have used the disks on my other computers and used their key codes to activate, but i also went and checked them and even my old pc from 2001 will still boot from my win 7 and vista disks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I have a Satellite and it boots fine from any bootable CD or DVD. Your drive may be defective. Though you did say it reads DVD's OK in XP, right?

Do these Vista disks come from Microsoft?

Do you have boot from CD-ROM as the top priority in BIOS, or are you using the boot menu to choose the boot source (F12, I think)?

In any case, you'll probably need a new drive.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    heres the toshiba support site for that laptop
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...A205-S4707&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

if you look at the user manual on that site -- you may have had a recovery partition on the machine
    now when you installed XP did you delete the recover partition at all ?

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...A205-S4707&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

on page 60

hold down the zero key while powerup the laptop - this should start the toshiba wizard - and the first option is to set back to "out of the box" factory condition

may get the software all back on
    doesnt explain the non boot of the vista cds ??? I cant think why thats a problem

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've had other machines that booted CD's but not DVD's. It seemed like they didn't spend enough time checking the DVD's for bootability before moving on. Sometimes, after several tries, I've gotten some of them to boot. At other times, I've pressed the Pause key when the drive light came on so that the drive itself could take more time scanning the DVD before I continued the boot process. It appears that the drive's own electronics detects bootability and is then prepped for that when the OS requests that data.

Cleaning the lenses has helped at rare times, too.

Are you using the boot source menu to choose the optical drive?

If you have installed XP on that machine, even if the recovery partition is still present, the MBR has been destroyed and it will no longer be accessible

9. primofreek

yeah the recovery partition is gone. the hard drive crashed and was replaced with a new 120bg drive. so no more recovery.

As for the dvds, yeah it will read a dvd movie when xp opens. But i cant do anything with the computer since i cant find drivers for this machine with xp.

And i had thought it was the drive as well, but then seeing it will read a movie dvd i dont think thats the case. Could it be toshiba has made the laptop where it wont read an oem disc?

and i have tried f12 boot menu and ive went in under f2 for the bios setup and set the drive as first boot device to no avail

10. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus

Try the press zero on start method. With the disc in the drive, Hold zero until the machine starts beeping loudly, ear pain loud. Then let go and follow the prompts.

If this doesn't work I have to inform you that the DVD drive is defective. I had a Toshiba drive do this too. I ran all a lot of software discs and some movies worked but it would not see the OEM disc to recover with.
    I still had to press zero on startup to make the disc run after I replaced the drive its a Toshiba thing.

Good Luck.
    Happy New Year

11. primofreek

Im going to try this in a few minutes and see if it works. I hope it does. But if not, seeing as i havent messed with a toshiba much, can i put any brand dvd drive in this as long as its a sata? or should i put another in it that is the same brand maybe?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I doubt you'll get any drive to fit that is not specifically for that model.

Windows disks use a format that is a hybrid ISO/UDF format. Though that makes it compatible with more drives, it also makes them somewhat more difficult to read by some drives. It could still be a problem with the drive, even if it reads movies.

Lens cleaning can make a difference. If it was ever around smokers, it is almost a necessity.

Have you checked to see if Toshiba has any flash updates for that drive's electronics? Though I don't generally recommend them unless for a particular purpose, since the drive is not performing, it may be worth a try.

You should also be able to boot that machine from an external drive. Do you have an external DVD-ROM?

13. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus

I think all laptop cd/dvd drives are the same. I'm sure the shop you by it in or if you go to New egg or tigerdirect websites they can tell you what you need. Mine was a generic replacement and it was $75 installed. I think you might be able to get cheaper.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Really? I hope you're right. I've never replaced one, but most laptop parts are pretty specific to the model.

15. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice