1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba laptop randomly reboots

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scourgie, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

Recently my Toshiba Satellite ( model L675
    d-S7016, p/n PSK3JU-00W001), with other info below, began to randomly reboot. Maybe once or twice a day - has never happened while I was using. Battery indicates full charge and working from AC. This is independent of Windows updates that force the laptop to reboot. I can't find where on toshiba website to get actual help, so here I am.

Thank you for any help or insight you are able to provide.

Info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3835 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465163 MB, Free - 375066 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NALAE
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Control Panel - System - Advanced system settings - Startup and Recovery Settings... - put a check mark for 'Write an event to the system log' and no check mark for 'Automatically restart.'

That should give you some hints (error messages) to investigate. If it still reboots I'd first suspect the power supply.

3. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Write event was already marked and I unchecked auto restart. I took a look at the log and was able to find 2 interesting events:
    1- at 1102 "
    The previous system shutdown at 9:59:14 AM on ‎1/‎9/‎2012 was unexpected."
    2- at 1101 "
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

How do I confirm power supply issue?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For a desktop the answer is easy (but not free)--replace the power supply. More complicated for a laptop, and I can only make some initial suggestions.

Try with battery only. If you don't get the reboots then probably the "brick" that converts AC to DC is defective.

Try with AC only (battery removed). If you don't get the reboots then probably the battery is defective.

Note that I said "probably" in both cases.

Other common causes--you will now probably (there's that weasel word again) get a blue screen with obscure but important error message--are overheating and memory or hard drive or driver defects.

5. RonK

RonK

Have you noticed the cooling fan running louder recently ?

6. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

thanks for all of the info so far. Of course, since I posted I haven't had a problem. I saved and cleared the event log and have had only one event in it since - log cleared. I am now performing the unplug and see if I get a reboot now...

I have not noticed any difference in fan operation (noise, etc).

I'll keep updating every few days to a week until something happens or we decide to close this thread.

Thanks again.

7. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

1. battery only operation, no problems. the only issue was I accidentally let the battery drain. After reboot I got the same 2 log messages as mentioned above, 1 - unexpected shutdown, and 2- kernal power, unexpected reboot. I would expect these, but they are the same as my symptom.
    2. AC only operation, the system crashed while I was using it, again with the same 2 events noted above.

I think it is a reasonable conclusion to draw that I need new AC adapter.

Does anyone else agree?

I have also been corrected by the main user of the computer that fan has been more noisy than usual, though I haven't noticed it. What might this indicate?

8. RonK

RonK

You should clean the cooling fan and vents with compressed air first to make sure it's not overheating.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the laptop is being operated on a soft surface some vents may be blocked causing overheating.

10. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

1. Laptop is on a level hard surface (desk)
    2. I will get some compressed air and clean
    3. I have had 2 instances of power off (since reboot is unchecked) since yesterday with the same event messages as noted above, and I just noticed a third that goes with the issue, it is a Kernel-General message that the OS has restarted.
    4. My AC adapter is on its way and should be here by Tuesday. Hopefully be the end of next week I will be comfortable to call the AC adapter the problem and issues solved. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the help. If it wasn't for the $30 adapter and the potential damage to my hard drive this little exersize would have been fun. That is if you all helped me ID the actual issue...

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Be very careful with compressed air. Especially with a laptop it's difficult to get it opened up enough to make sure you are not doing more harm than good with the air. You don't want to damage the fan nor blow gunk into places where it can do more harm.

12. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

OK, I just had my machine shut down while I was using it (I have unchecked reboot in the log section per instructions above). At the time IE had frozen up and I got a message that the site I was on was not responding 'due to a long running script', or something like that. I chose to NOT stop the script. I had about 8 tabs open at the time. System event log shows the same set of errors as usual for this issue. I hope this was coincidental (script locking up IE), any thoughts?

My AC adapter should be here today, and hopefully in a few days we'll be able to close this.

13. RonK

RonK

Have you done the cleaning yet ?

14. scourgie

scourgie Thread Starter

The replacement AC adapter did not solve my issue. I have not done the cleaning as I am not a mechanical guy and as much as I would like a new laptop, I don't think I'll try to clean myself. I'm going to do some research just to be sure it is beyond my capabilities then probably bring it into a shop. I'll keep you posted.

15. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

On the Toshiba laptop, the air flows from between the keys to the bottom (i.e., top to bottom).

To do a quick clearing of the fans with compressed air, first turn the laptop off. Blow short bursts of air in the bottom vents just enough to clear the vents (or better yet, use a barely damp lint-free cloth to wipe the vents). Then blow air between the keys with the laptop right-side up. Turn the laptop on and blow more air over the keys.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice