1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba laptop won't connect to the internet (Windows 7, 32-bit)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JillDC, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JillDC

JillDC Thread Starter

Hi Tech Guys, I have pretty curious problem. No troubleshooter or FAQ that I could find has been able to help me, so I'd be incredibly grateful if someone here could get me through this.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 which is running on Windows 7 (32 bit). I've owned it for over a year now without any difficulties, but it's suddenly unable to access the internet.

The wireless icon in the tray shows that it's connected to the router (a Netgear N300), but that it has no internet access. I ran the Network Troubleshooter and received the message: "Your computer is correctly configured but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding."

I thought that it may have been a problem with the cable modem (a Motorola SB5101) or with my ISP (Comcast), but I found that the Wi-Fi was working just fine on my cellphone.

I tried connecting the laptop via an ethernet cable (to both the router and the modem), but it still wouldn't work. I tried turning everything off and then on again, and still nothing.

I then started the computer in Safe Mode with Networking. In this mode, it WAS able to connect to the internet. I don't know what exactly this means, or where to go from here.

Any help or suggestions would be followed with gratitude, and I'll be happy to provide whatever other information is needed. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong sub-forum; it's difficult navigating a forum of this size on a tiny phone.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    something is running in normal mode that is blocking access
    its possible a virus/malware
    or
    a firewall / security suite time trail version - they can often block even after being ok for years

so do you have norton, mcafee or other suite now or ever in the past

if so you need to uninstal and use the removal tool to remove - i have listed a couple for the more common suites
    also try a tcp/ip reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Please note and post back - if you receive the message
    Access is Denied

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kaspersky Removal Tool
    A link to Kaspersky - this varies with different versions
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193239279

Mcafee RemovalTool
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
    http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Norton Removal Tool
    I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

All Versions - The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

3. JillDC

JillDC Thread Starter

etaf, thank you so much!

My laptop came with Norton pre-installed, but not activated. I ran the Removal Tool twice as recommended and my internet access returned in full.

For good measure, I also entered the command prompts that you gave, but I wasn't able to copy the results with Control+C. However "netsh winsock reset catalog" and "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" both gave messages stating that everything was successfully reset. "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log" gave the message that "there's no user specified settings to be reset." I restarted the computer, and the internet still works.

If there's anything else to be done, I'd be eager to do it. If not, thank you again for your help! I'll be making a donation to the site in your honor. ;)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know
    nothing more to do
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!