1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba notebook laptop problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kennyboi073, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kennyboi073

kennyboi073 Thread Starter

Hi there

I have a Toshiba C870D and it takes forever to connect to my network. I have a Linksys WRT160N router. It shows that it is connected to my network but, whenever i open chrome or try to connect to a program, it just doesn't connect. Sometimes, i have to restart my computer multiple times to get the network going. My router shouldn't be the problem because my other computers in my house can connect to the network just fine.I have also tried changing settings on the router configuration page of the router. My wireless adapter is Realtek RTL8188CE

Please help asap, thank you!

2. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

3. kennyboi073

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reinstalled the driver that was already there? Or made sure you were installing the correct one (as Grant advised)?

What OS?

5. kennyboi073

Hi im using win 7 home pre x64.

Reinstalled the drivers that was already there. Matched with model number and everything. Still takes a long time to connect to my network.

It shows im connected to the wifi network, but i can't go on anything that requires going online, like skype or google chrome, etc., but eventually it will connect and then i can start the applications

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "everything" needs to be revision and date. Better to just download the latest and install it.

Since that may not fix the problem ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

7. kennyboi073

Hi TerryNet

Thanks for your reply, tried doing this. Still takes quite a long time. So every time i'm done with the computer i just put it to sleep instead of shutting it down. Saves time and it won't have to take a million years to connect to a wireless network. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue... Would it be? Anyhow, i downloaded the latest drivers and replaced the old ones.

Thanks again!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What firewall or security suite is, or ever was on the system?

Once we deal with my above firewall question we will have dealt with the three possible software problem causes that I can think of--but Grant or others may have additional ideas. After that are such things as defective adapter or the adapter and router just don't play nice together. Before giving up though we should take a look at the wireless network ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you don't have a satisfactory email address (e.g., from your ISP) you could try http://www.pcworld.com/article/231780/xirrus_wifi_inspector.html. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

9. kennyboi073

I'm using Shaw McAfee Security Centre, as of the present time.

Please see attached for the Wi-Fi inspector.

Attached Files:

• xwe.jpg
      xwe.jpg
      File size:
      248.5 KB
      Views:
  10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall McAfee and run the McAfee Removal Tool. You can reinstall it, if desired, after testing.

You could be getting some wireless interference from those other networks, but there's not much you can do about it. I'd try, as a last resort, channels 11, 4 and 2 in that order.

11. kennyboi073

Hey i tried uninstalling McAfee and setting the channels on my router. No luck. I think i just have to allow myself to have adequate time before i use the laptop again or just put it to sleep.

Thanks again for your help, it really does seem like a hardware issue. Not fixable at this point. Thanks again for your help! Don't know what to do now :/

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!