1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba Satelite Wifi support issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Klubba, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klubba

Klubba Thread Starter

I didnt know if this should be in the Network or Hardware forum, but i'll try posting here :) I have a Toshiba satelite C660-11H and since i need bluetooth i swapped the Realtek RTL8188CE wifi adapter for an Intel Centrion 1030. Now i have bluetooth working fine, but i can't get wifi working :(, drivers installed nicely but i cant switch it on/off using Fn F8, and the intel program that came with the drivers says "Hardware Radio switch is off" I tried swapping back for my old wifi card and then magically wifi shows up in the Fn "Flash Cards", with no drivers installed for that card or anything, but when i use the intel card i have no wifi among the "Flash Cards", the F8 slot for wifi on/off isnt there at all. Is there any way i can force the wifi switch on? i'll even hard wire past it if i have to ;) the latest bios i found for the C660 is 1.8 and thats the one i have installed. Seems other toshibas had problems with the intel cards they were delivered with and that issue was fixed with a bios update to 2.x, I am also curious to know how it detects a wifi card, since the wifi switch appears again if i swap back for my old one, I've noticed the intel card has less pins on the mini pci-e connector. Maybe i could bridge something to trick it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I moved your thread from Networking to Hardware. All I know about installing a different integrated wireless adapter into a laptop is that often it won't even boot with the "foreign" hardware, sometimes works OK, and may give mixed results (as you are getting).

3. Klubba

Klubba Thread Starter

Found the answer on another forum. Pin 20 on the mini pci-e port controls "silent wifi", as in the mobo energises pin 20 to shut the wifi adapter off. So by taking the wlan card out, taping over pin 20 and sticking it back in my wifi adapter is now always hardware activated and working nicely

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice