1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba Satellite C660-18C - HDD failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitrous123, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitrous123

nitrous123 Thread Starter

Hi Tech Guys,
    I have a friends laptop that I am trying to fix, their laptop HDD is failing which has been confirmed by Crystalmark and the Toshiba HDD/SDD monitor tool. I have a spare HDD lieing around which I would like to replace it with but I want to clone/backup the files first. I tried using acronis clone image but when I place the HDD in the laptop it does not recognise the new HDD, could it be due to the fact that the HDD has to be a OEM HDD set as the OS drive? I'm stuck as the laptop will not allow me to use my external HDD to backup the files manually. Not sure what to do next even tried to backup the files via my network using easy to transfer tool but it cannot find my PC please help thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you clone with acronis, there are some things you need to do;
    1 Boot the system using an acronis boot CD/flash drive. I always recommend doing a clone, image, etc from the boot disk rather than from within windows. It just removes one more layer of complexity from the task.
    2 The new hard drive must be blank ie no partition info on the drive at all. You may need to zero fill the drive IF it was previously used.
    3 Select source [old drive] and destination [new drive]
    4 Complete the clone process and shutdown. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected.
    5 Swap hd and pw ON. Make sure drive letters are correct, system boots without errors, etc.

Since this is a laptop, I would do the clone with A/C pw connected. Once finished with the clone, shutdown and remove both A/C and battery prior to swapping drives. Modern systems apply pw even when OFF so you want to be sure there is no pw applied when you are swapping drives or working on the system. Most [if not all] of the time, swapping drives in a laptop with the battery installed would not hurt anything however completely removing pw prior to working on the system is a VERY good habit to get into.

3. nitrous123

nitrous123 Thread Starter

Hi thank you for the replying the set of instructions you worked, popped in the acronis DVD into the laptop cloned the tosh HDD to the new HDD and it booted into windows without a hitch. Whilst cloning it did bring up several I/O errors possibly due to the failing tosh HDD but I ran a scan disk it found no errors runs and boots up much faster than the HDD it replaced. I'll keep you guys posted thanks again

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the top of the page. I will mark this one solved for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice