1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Toshiba Satellite Laptop L355D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by topazbest, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Trying to format hard drive with XP. when I boot the CD with Xp on it...it goes through the install cycle, but when it restarts. ..it says UNABLE TO READ, I would think this is a HD problem, is there a program to boot to DOS, and use dos commands to format the hard drive? Or maybe a boot program that will scan the hard drive and block any errored sectors,etc. so data could not be written to them. Just thinking of a workaround from buying a new HD.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It might be a failing harddrive, or a damaged cd, or a cd drive where the laser cant read the disk anymore.if the harddrive is toast all you can do is get a new one and replace it.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Get hold of the Ultimate Boot CD and use the manufacturer's disk utility from there. Or get it direct from whoever made the disk.
    Check that as it may not be a Toshiba disk in there.

4. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Tried the Ultimate Boot CD...here is the error message I received at startup:

REALTEK RTL8101E/8102I
    PCI-E ETHERNET CONTROLLER
    MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE
    EXITING PXE ROM

Locks up there...cannot continue...see anything?

5. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Made a quick shot in the dark......Pulled out my VISTA OS DVD , and it went on like a charm. I guess the fly in the ointment is going to a previous OS, ( I wanted XP on the machine), when it's only eating Vista or above. Thanks for the help.....going to another post to figure out the WIFI on this one. Thanks again...will leave open for a few thoughts from anyone...

Me ( the one with egg on his face )

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    it doesn't look like you successfully booted from the UBCD

7. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Got Vista installed....went right n...not sure of the why, what, when or how....but I'll take it. Thanks to all.....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice