1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tosiba Satellite laptop windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Can someone give me a clue what to look for here. A guy I have helped before dropped his Toshiba laptop off he said it wouldn't stay started.

Last time I helped him he had a heating problem, the fans for cooling are under the laptop so I told him to get a holder that would let the air get through and it worked fine haven't heard from him for a year or so.

It is a Toshiba Satellite A60/65 says XP but so I must be wrong about the windows 2000 anyway he says he has some material he really needs off of it

Anyway I plugged it in cause the battery I think is bad, and it tries to start but then disconnects right away. by right away I mean nothing ever comes up on the screen.

YOU can hear it start and the lights come on but you never hear the hard drive doing anything and like I said it just clicks and shuts down.

Would it be the hard drive is bad? and if so can a person still get the info off of it? Can someone give me a clue? I think it is the hard drive but how can I check it

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

If you hear clicking from the hard drive, it's going to die soon. Slave it to another machine if you need to recover data and replace it.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

So then even tho it tries to start up but then you hear that one click and it shuts down that is the hard drive?

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

OK one more question, If I slave it another computer and just burn to a disk what needs to be saved then can you just buy another hard drive like it and use the recovery disks to put the system back on?

5. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

That will work, and the drives aren't that expensive.

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will close this thread

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice