1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Totally confused by Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

In an initial effort to wean myself away from OE, which I've used for 15 years, I downloaded/installed Thunderbird. I thought I set up two accounts, like I have in OE: One for Business Mail, the other for Personal Mail. Problem is, only the Personal Mail account works. When you view account settings for it, it has all the setting options under it, like Server Settings, Copies & Folders, Composition & Addressing, etc. It also has all the usual folders -- Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Trash, Outbox.

But while the Business account imported all my messages from OE thru 10/16/11, it has not downloaded a single message since and when you click to view the account settings, it says, "The following is a special account. There are no identities associated with it." Because it wasn't working, I set up a duplicate account which DOES work. I then tried to delete the "special" account, but the "Remove account" option is dimmed, so I can't get rid of it.

What is a "special" account, why is it there (i.e., what does it do), and why can't I zap it?

2. JVeitch

JVeitch

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

In OE, you can have multiple accounts in a single Identity. All accounts share the Inbox, Sent Items, etc.
    If you want each account to have it's own folder hierarchy, you set up the accounts in separate Identities and use the Switch Identities to access each one.

In T-bird, the Local Folders account is a "global account" which is the equivalent of a single OE Identity in which all E-mail accounts share the folder hierarchy.
    If you want to have each account have it's own folder tree (the T-bird equivalent of separate Identities) you open "Account Settings", select the account in the left pane, and set the account's "Server Setting>Advanced button" to use "Inbox for this server's account".

4. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I thank both of you for your responses, but haven't the foggiest what they mean or what to do. I do not recall ever setting up a "global account", and when I look at the Server settings > Advanced, both my Business and Personal accounts are set to "use the Inbox for this server's account", not "Global Inbox (Local Folders Account)". I cannot select anything like that for the "special" account because there are NO server settings, copies & folders settings, composition, junk, etc. I just want to get rid of the "special" account, which, incidentally, now has nothing in any folder; I moved all the messages from the Inbox and Sent items folder in that account down to the account that is working.

5. throoper

You can't remove the Local Folders account as it's a default. If you don't use it for an active account (have mail come into the global Inbox under the Local Folders), the best thing is to just collapse it in the left folder pane and ignore it.
    I think there's a way to hide it's display. I can't remember offhand how to do it, but I'll check and post in with the info.

FWIW: I use the separate accounts with their own folder trees and use the Local Folders section for archiving and misc storage. It makes a nice place to stick things you want ready access to but don't necessarily want cluttering up the account folders.

6. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I'm beginning to get it. In addition to the desktop on which I installed TB, I have a Win 7 laptop. Since there is no built-in e-mail program in Win 7, I installed TB. I checked it today. The "special account" I've been referring to on the XP desktop installation of TB IS the Local Folders account. Because it contained all the e-mails I imported from OE, and they were ALL from the business identity, I changed the name to the same as the active business account. Now that I know what it's supposed to be, and have moved all the e-mails out of it, I have changed the name back to "Local Folders" and collapsed it. I still don't know why TB needs it if you've elected NOT to use a global Inbox, etc., but now that I know what it is, I have no problem with it. It would be nice if TB provided a way to have it not display, but no big deal.

But I now have a couple of other relatively simple questions: My two account names are Personal Mail and BrandywineComp. That's the order in which they display in the left panel. Is there any way to sort the accounts alphabetically in the left pane so BrandywineComp would be above Personal Mail?

2nd question: I entered an HTML file for a signature in the BrandywineComp account. It works perfectly -- is automatically dumped into every e-mail I write when the checkbox "Attach the signature from a file. . ." is checked. Problem is I don't want it in EVERY e-mail; I'd like to be able to insert it when I want it, which is what OE allows you to do. Can't find any way to do that in TB. Is there, and if so, how?

7. throoper

The first question should be easy as you only have 2 accounts.
    Whatever account is set as Default in the Account Settings will display on top.

2: Signature Switch Add-on will do what you want. It lets you toggle the sig on/off and also lets you set up a selection list similar to OE's. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/signature-switch/?src=ss
    I use an older version of T-bird so had to check, but I see it's fully updated for the newer versions.

For hiding the Local Folders, Mail Tweak add-on. I just installed it in T-bird 7and it seems to work well.
    But... It's only updated through T-bird 3.* and needs to have the RDF bumped.
    I haven't as yet tried out the other functions so I can't vouch for any of them, but if you only want the Hide Local Folders and don't mind an extension for it, it does the job.
    http://mailtweak.mozdev.org/installation.html

8. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Well, I installed the signature switch, no problem. But I can find no button or selection like "Set as default". Where in the Account Settings is there a checkbox or button to set the account as the default?

9. throoper

Select the account in the left pane of the Account Settings and click the drop down at the bottom that says "Account Actions".
    Set as default should be on the menu.

10. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Never mind; I found it. Made BrandywineComp the default, closed, reopened TB and sure enough, it's now the first account.

Thanks to everybody, especially throoper. I have marked the thread as solved.

11. throoper

You're welcome.

BTW: Thanks for giving me a reason to try Mail Tweak. I'm halfway through the functions and so far they work a charm in version 7. Nice little add-on.

12. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Now that I have "what's what" sorted out in this new-to-me e-mail client, I'm comfortable leaving the Local Folders account showing, especially since I changed the default account and it forced that account to the bottom of the pane.

BTW, I'm using TB ver. 8 as of today. Don't know if Mail Tweak is compatible with it.

13. throoper

It's working well on 7 and there isn't much code change in 8, so it should work.
    Like I said, though, the add-on is for version 3.* and needs the install version in the RDF bumped up to get it to install past that.

Now this is a weird coincidence. I was just playing with it's Account Tools tweak and it adds a menu item to move the account order up or down. I've got six and can now order them any way I like, even default at the bottom. Very cool. (y)

14. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Hmmmm. . . I may investigate Mail Tweak, just to see what it does. Thanks.

15. throoper

In case you need to know, to bump the install version open the XPI with a zip program and Edit the Install RDF in a text editor (Notepad will do) to change the Max version from the 3.* to the version number you want which would likely be 8.* and then it should install with no problem.

You might want to make a test profile to play around with it and see if you like it before loading it into your working Profile.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice