1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: touchpad mouse wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmokinHope, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmokinHope

SmokinHope Thread Starter

Hi there. I recently used an external mouse with my laptop and now I cant get my touchpad to work. I tried to uninstall and reinstall and I'm not sure what I did there bacause now it doesnt show a list of devices now. Please help me/

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on some machines there is a FN and F kety combination that disables the touchpad

in device manager can you click on the + next to "mouse and other pointing things"
    post a screen shot here

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
    or
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager
    For Windows 8
    If you happen to be using a keyboard with Windows 8, the quickest way to open Device Manager is via its shortcut on the Power User Menu, accessible by pressing the WINDOW key and the X key together.
    If on a touch screen - have a read here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/device-manager-windows-8.htm
    Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

mouse and other pointing things, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under mouse and other pointing things
    are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - mouse and other pointing things

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    For Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    For windows Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/
    For Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. SmokinHope

I cant seem to get a screen shot, I am using windows vista. Under the Mice and other pointing devices it shows
    HID- compliant mouse
    PS/2 Compatable mouse
    no ! ? or X.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    This is your external mouse

this mayhbe the touchpad - but usually it does say touch pad

if you unplug the external mouse - does HID- compliant mouse disappear?

5. SmokinHope

no it doesnt disappear. I tried to update driver says has best driver installed. I do have the FN button and my laptop is an emachine E625.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    one should disappear - its a USB external mouse you are using correct ?

7. SmokinHope

yes right now I am

8. SmokinHope

I took stick out and restarted a few times that didnt work

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should not need to restart - on device manager you have two mice (mouses) showing
    one should be the external mouse - just unplug and you should see device manager update ?

10. SmokinHope

now there is an !in yellow beside PS/2 compatable mouse. I tried to uninstall it.

11. SmokinHope

ok, now I am just using keyboard. device manager only shows one mouse now, but it still has the ! in yellow and touchpad still not working. I just now had to plug stick back in just to sent this post.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > mouse and other pointing devices > click on the [+] to show all

right click on the adapter and from the menu with the yellow!

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

13. SmokinHope

OK, I restarted and mouse pad still not working. I am now using my iPad.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the PC - rather than uninstalling and then rebooting and allowing windows to install a driver, we can point to the correct driver from the PC support site

15. SmokinHope

Under device manager it shows the PS/2 comparable mouse and under device status it says this device cannot start code 10

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice