1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: touchpad not recognized after reassembly; ribbon IS connected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by finisterre, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finisterre

finisterre Thread Starter

My Compaq laptop no longer recognizes the touchpad. This began after I disassembled it to resolder the DC connector.

I did make sure to connect the ribbon cable, and tried re-connecting it many times to make sure it's seated all the way.

Could I have done some microscopic, invisible damage to the ribbon? Dislodged it at the other end (hidden under the touchpad itself)? Still not seated it properly despite dozens of attempts over several days?

Here's some further info and other possible solutions that I've tried:

(1) The LEDs for 'on/standby' and 'battery charging' no longer work. They are on the same circuit as the touchpad, i.e. normally they work only when the touchpad ribbon is connected. Strangely, the LED for hard-drive activity, which is also on that same circuit, does work!

(2) External PS/2 mouse works fine.

(3) Device Manager shows only the PS/2 mouse.

(4) Control Panel > Mouse > Properties shows that I have 'Synaptics PS/2 port pointing device"...this info being a weird mishmash of the nonfunctioning Synaptics touchpad, and the ~10 year old Microsoft mechanical ball type mouse which is attached.

(5) An attempt to reinstall the touchpad driver results in this error: "A serious internal error has occurred. please contact your touchpad supplier. (#-536870397 @10)"

(6) I went into BIOS Setup and reset everything to the defaults.

(7) the only way to replace is buy a new assembly that includes the face plate (aka 'top case') and touch pad together.....~$80 - 100....and pray it'd work; probably can't be returned.

Many thanks!

Compaq Presario 2100... AMD 1800 MHz... Windows XP.....4 years old

2. idowindows

idowindows

I've been having the same error on an HP Pav ze5200.

The owner had a problem with the hard drive and I ended up formatting it.

Upon reinstalling XP and all updates, I noticed that the touchpad (Synoptics) is not working. I downloaded the utility from HP for it but upon running it - I get the same error message you reported...

The pointer will work while Windows loads but once it is loaded, it stops. It doesn't show in Dev. Mgr., I've tried installing it to no avail...

If I come up with something, I'll be sure to post...

3. finisterre

Thanks, at least I'm not suffering alone

Doesn't sound like you opened up the computer, which rules out physical damage from dis- and reassembly. Strange, and ominous, to have the problem after an XP reinstall. I'm guessing you already tried chkdsk or whatever it is that (ostensibly) checks the hard drive for flaws?

Over the past couple of weeks I've posted the problem at AskLaptopFreak, DaniWeb, and HP forums. (Don't know if there's anything about forum etiquette that says you shouldn't cross-post in unrelated forums.....at any rate no-one's posted any solution yet, which probably means it's an obscure or difficult problem, because most posts out there seem to be answered within a couple of days)

4. finisterre

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I bought a refurbished top case + touchpad assembly on Ebay for $25 or so and it works fine. Everything back to normal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice