Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Touchpad scroll and zoom turned off

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi, a few months ago I called dell to have something on my computer fixed (I don't remember what it actually was). The dell rep remotely took over the computer and cleared out a bunch of the programs from startup in various locations. Since then I have not been able to use the scroll and multi-touch features on my mousepad. I can't find where to turn this back on and re-installing the driver has not helped.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks, Rob

I have:
Dell XPS Studio 17
Widows 7

#3 ·
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I don't see anything in the mouse settings that deal with scrolling or zooming with the touchpad. Under the hardware tab I have the option of choosing between 2 HID-complaint mice and 1 ps2 mouse. Do one of these refer to the touchpad?
I have the feeling that i'm not having a problem with the settings but with the fact that the program that deals with the touchpad was disabled somehow by the dell rep. FYI, I have hotkeys on my keyboard that change the volume. At the same time as the touchpad issues arose, I stopped seeing a meter for the volume pop up with i changed it with these hotkeys. (the volume still changes but no icon pops up as it used to). I believe these services were both messed with when clearing out "non-essential" programs.

Sorry for the diatribe, I really appreciate you helping me with this.

-Rob

#4 ·
If I were forced to guess I'd say the PS/2 Mouse is really the touchpad.

On Dell's web site, Support section, use your Service Tag to find all your drivers. That list will probably include some software, including any special program for the Touchpad. Install the latest touchpad driver and software (assuming you do find something there).

#5 ·
Hey Terrynet, thanks for responding

I downloaded the driver for Synaptics Touchpad from the Dell website and ran the exe file. After double clicking it nothing really happened.(is there something else i should do with these files). After doing this i found the ps2 mouse under my devices and uninstalled the driver. when the computer restarted it downloaded and installed the driver for it automatically but again nothing changed.

is there something else to try?

-Rob

#6 ·
The .exe file from Dell should have installed the correct driver. After you did that you still did not get an additional tab in Mouse Properties? Maybe named Device Settings with the Synaptics logo? Why did you uninstall the Dell driver and go back to whatever Windows found?

#7 ·
You're right! I uninstalled the dell driver becuase nothing had happened after i ran the .exe file. After you posted I went back to look at the new driver and realized that i had just unpacked it without installing. After I actually installed it, the scroll and zoom came back.

Thank you so much, i really appreciate your help.
-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.