{SOLVED} Tower fan going ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kellysklover

Hi Guys! You helped me out once in the past --- was wondering if I might be needing some assistance again?

Yesterday my tower started to "wheeze" or HUM extra loudly..........right now it sounds normal again but every once in a while it will start 'acting up'. I lightly tapped the side of our tower (thinking some dust got inside???) and the humming stopped for awhile......does this mean it's almost time to replace the fan? I guess the problem won't just go way right :-/ ??? If I do need to get a new fan are they expensive? Can I open my tower and install the new fan myself???

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!

PS I searched before posting but couldn't find any past inquiries with the exact same problem as I am experiencing......

Next time it happens, have your tower case unscrewed and ready. Once it begins, try to pull the case off and see if you can locate the problem. It may well be your power supply fan, but could be something else, like your processor fan.

kellysklover

Hi! Thanks for writing back! We opened up our tower just like you said and we think it's our processor fan......the one making the noise is the little fan down on the main board (NOT the bigger one up in the box that has the cord that plugs into the wall --- power supply box fan (?)---)We have already replaced the power supply fan (about 4 mos. ago)

Anyway, so if it is the processor fan what does the repair entail? We blew out all of the dust, but the fan is still struggling (here and there) with that annoying, heavy hum............

HUM??????????????? Thanks for any more insight :)kellysklover

Most are connected to SYS board with a little two pin connector (black,red wires usually), but some go to power supply...The fans are usually just clipped on top of the CPU..You'll basically have to look...Anyway, they are really cheap in a comp. shop or even a Radio Shack and size can be matched by processor or you can go ahead and take it out and with you to the store and have the clerk assist if cross-referenced parts needed..Installing is just reverse and extremely easy and since you can readily see it then it appears that you won't have to remove anything else...

Ensure power is secured off and for safety of any parts, if you don't have a grounding strap then touch the frame/chassis to ground/discharge to prevent ESD...BOL

One important note: Write the orientation of the wires down first. Even with only two wires, you should note which color wire is on which side before you take it off. Replacement will be a snap.

kellysklover

Many thanks to lavigne and phobiussno for helping us with our fan problem!!!

We took our tower in to the comp. shop today and they replaced the small cpu fan with a new one. All for under 10 bucks!!!We brought it back, hooked it up and "she's purrin' like a kitten!"

Guess you can mark this post as "resolved"! So glad TECH SUPPORT GUY is out there helping people every day! You guys are great! kellysklover

Great to hear that you solved the problem before you ran into processor failure! I too think this site is the best place to come for help. I came here as a completely uneducated, computer iliterate neophyte. I've been helped here more times than I can count. Now I come here as often as possible to see if I can return the favor in some small way by chipping in my 2 cents in between asking for help for myself or one of my friends. It's just good to know there's somewhere to turn....

Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online