1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TP-Link USB Wifi - Can hear static

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misstweety, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misstweety

misstweety Thread Starter

I have a TP-Link TL-WN822N wireless usb adapter. It works well, as far as getting a signal.

But whenever I use my earbuds I can hear static. When I unplug the adapter, I no longer hear static.

It sounds like the static is the sound of data transfer, because the sound get busier and louder when I'm downloading something.

I have the latest driver installed.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how old is the adapter - it maybe worth seeing if you can change
    are the earbuds passive and just connected to the headphone socket or do they have an amplifier of any kind ?

3. misstweety

Thanks for replying!

The wireless adapter was just bought from NewEgg a couple weeks ago. My internal adapter is old (my laptop was bought in 2009), that's why I purchased this external adapter.

The earbuds are connected to the jack. There's no amplifier. I tried searching this problem on Google but wasn't able to come up with search terms that would distinguish the problem from all the Google hits I was getting.

4. misstweety

I just tried to plug the wireless adapter into different usb ports on my laptop. I have 4 ports. On the two ports next to the headphone jack I get the static noise. But on the two usb ports far from the headphone jack I get no noise. So at least I know that there's an alternative to dealing with this noise.

Still I would prefer to use the usb port next to the headphone port. Could it be some sort of input/output conflict?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i suspect its just interference
    its electrical or RFI radio interference
    a replacement may work better - have a conversation with the support people for the TP-Link -

6. misstweety

ok, tx!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice