1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tracert command disconnects modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rollin' Rog, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog Thread Starter

Posting this here since you folks seem best with these types of issues.

I've discovered that whenever I run a tracert command either from a Windows command line or using "Neotrace" -- my modem icon in the system tray gets "redXd" -- telling me it's unplugged.

Closing the trace command or Neotrace utility, it soon finds its way back to normal.

>>This does not occur if I bypass the Linksys "Broadband Firewall Router BEFSX41" and connect directly to the modem.

>> It continues to occur if I disable the router's firewall

>> evidently something needs to be enabled or forwarded to the router for the tracert command to work and the modem to retain its enabled status. Or is something else involved here?

Any help appreciated.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I just ran tracert from a command window with XP Home and didn't lose my wireless! :confused:

3. Rollin' Rog

I'm on the phone with Linksys now. They are having me do a firmware upgrade -- telling me there are some issues with my model's firmware.

The bloody upgrade is hung on its setup telling me it must not be interrupted -- and the linksys guy seems to have placed me on indefinite hold -- or bailed entirely.

Sheesh.

I'm sure if I reboot or cancel and lose the thing they will tell me it's my fault :rolleyes:

4. bassetman

I'd bet your are right! :mad:

5. bassetman

PS PM me if I can try anything else that might help you.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I hope you have a fall-back plan if the FLASH fails. :)

7. Rollin' Rog

Well we tried to do the flash using different methods multiple times.

It failed every time -- always producing some "host cannot be found" (the router address http://192.168.1.1/upgrade.cgi page).

We even tried setting the address in Network connections.

You can ping the router, but the upgrade utility can't seem to find it.

The setup never seemed to complete.

But the router still works after multiple resets.

If I want tracert I'm going to have to RMA it -- and that assumes the replacement would work :rolleyes:

I just may live with it. I can use network tracerts if necessary, but Neotrace was oh so convenient.

8. squidboy

squidboy

Your router is most likely 'rebooting' while you tracert, hence the red x/unplugged. You can watch the lights go out as I've seen this several times on linksys routers.

There's a procedure, like a hard reset, but you unplug and plug in the router while holding in the reset button that puts it into a 'default' mode and can only do basics like flash the bios. I'm not sure if that option is available for the BEFSX41. I can try to dig up the link if you think it will help, or maybe mention it to Linksys support.

9. bassetman

Neotrace is great, hate to see you lose it :(

I just tried Neotrace on my wireless laptop and it didn't DC modem etc, but didn't complete either ! :(

10. Rollin' Rog

Well it seems this is a documented problem. The router rebooting when tracert is run is exactly what happens -- as I've observed the status lights when it happens.

Upgrading the firmware would obviously fix this except I can't upgrade the firmware.

Harrummph!

I guess if I want traceroute I have to RMA it.

If I want to keep using it until I get the replacement, they put a hold on my credit card for the price of the router.

I just wonder if the replacement is going to have the latest firmware, else I'm back in the same rut -- and out for 2 x shipping charges back to them.

11. bassetman

Is there anyway we can help you with the firmware update (a work around)?

12. Rollin' Rog

No, I was on the phone with them for almost an hour. We tried every method known to them.

There is just something buggy about the device's BIOS. You'd think they'd have this down by now.

I can't believe others don't have the same problem when trying to upgrade the firmware.

But thanks for asking :)

13. bassetman

yw! :(

14. Rollin' Rog

Well I don't believe it.

Screw their techsupport, I solved it on my own.

It seems their upgrade utility did not properly enter the address of the router server -- rendering it http://192.168.1.1/ instead of just 192.168.1.1

Googling the issue I found someone with the same host resolution error and the fix was to enter the address manually.

Upgrade completed in a flash and no more tracert problem! :)

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Google is your friend. :D Proven once again. Of course, we wouldn't expect any less of you, surely you're superior to the brainless tech support at Linksys. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice