1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transfer file problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JKTiffin, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKTiffin

JKTiffin Thread Starter

I'm trying to transfer files from an XP desktop to a new vista laptop. Using the transfer wizard I can only go as far as the "select a method" screen and then the "use the home network" option is greyed out, and I cannot figure out why. I have about 10 gigs of data to transfer so I figure this'd be the quickest way, but not sure what to do to solve the problem.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a home network (I suppose they mean a workgroup) set up why not just copy the files? I wouldn't trust a transfer wizard with my data.

3. JKTiffin

JKTiffin Thread Starter

good thinking!

Thanks,

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

The easiest thing to do would be to copy all your data to an external HD, and then copy back to the new Vista machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!