1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Transfer Files Using Ethernet Cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CoasterFreak, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

Ok, on my desktop i have files i want to move to my laptop, can I use a direct cable connection (Ethernet port - Ethernet port) to transfer files? If so, how? Do I need a router? Can someone please explain in details....thanx

2. dalereis

dalereis

If you are connecting directly with the cable you need a "cross over" cable which is like a regular ethernet cable but each end is wired opposite the other.

3. CoasterFreak

after I get this "Cross over" cable, then what do I do??

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. CoasterFreak

6. CoasterFreak

ok, that website was pretty vague. But Here's what i did. I went into Local Area Connection (The Ethernet Card) and clicked on TCP/IP and then clicked properties, and then I assigned both computers an IP Address (192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.2), and then I turned on NETBios. Should it work now? I have not gotten the cross-over cable yet though.

7. bassetman

bassetman Moderator - Gone but never forgotten

You'll need to create a NetWork Neighborhood and make at least something shared on the receiving PC. I'm sure JohnWill can explain this bettter than me! ;)

8. CoasterFreak

thanx...next I just have to say..HELP johnwill!!!

9. CoasterFreak

...........I'm still patiently waiting a response............
    preferably from johnwill!!!

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's review the steps necessary to make this work:

1. Make sure that your Network Interface Card (NIC) is properly installed and has all it's drivers loaded. Check in Device Manager for any associated errors for the NIC.

2. Make sure the computers have are on the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.2.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If the first three octets are not identical with that subnet mask, the computers will be unable to communicate. If the subnet masks are different for computers in the network, they will not be able to communicate.

3. Make sure you have the same workgroup name for all computers.

4. Make sure you have the Gateway, and DNS IP addresses if you're sharing Internet access.

5. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address by IP address and by name.

6. Make sure that any firewall is configured to allow access by other computers on your subnet. You may want to disable the firewall to test if it's causing the problem with sharing. Don't forget the XP firewall in TCP/IP properties.

7. Make sure there is an account on any 2k or XP machine that matches the login name on the client computer connecting to the shared resource on the 2K or XP machine.

8. Make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in TCP/IP Advanced Properties.

9. Insure that you have shared the drive or folder you want to view from the remote machine. Right click on the resource and select Sharing.

You need a CAT5 crossover cable to connect the two machines if the NIC's are not auto-sensing, if they are, any cable should work.

11. CoasterFreak

what exactly is a subnet? I see a spot for subnet mask but not for just subnet

12. jtatsud

jtatsud

Quick clarification:

To be on the same subnet, computers need to have the same subnet mask. So you need to make sure that all your computers have the same subnet mask so they can more easily communicate.

More detailed (and complex) explanation:

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that all the numbers in the first 3 "fields" of the IP address must be the same.

Thus, using the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the IP addresses of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.100 are in the same subnet.

Using the same subnet mask, the IP addresses of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.11.100 are NOT in the same subnet.

It's even more complicated than this, but these are the basics.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

13. CoasterFreak

thanx, i was lost but now am found...lol

14. CoasterFreak

thank you all who helped me. i successfully set up the crossover cable and am sucessfully sharing files:) :D

15. bassetman

bassetman Moderator - Gone but never forgotten

Glad you got it worked out! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/199558