1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: transfer saved emails from xp outlook express to vista windows mail?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Doughbroz, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doughbroz

Doughbroz Thread Starter

Can this be done? I saved them to an external hard drive with the old xp computer, which I still have, and they are still in the old computer. They were saved as DBX files. Any program I try to use to open them from the external drive when connected to the Vista computer shows mostly gibberish. While I'm at it, can address book lists be transferred from one to the other computer? Thanks

2. artspc

artspc

I am experiencing similar problem, except both systems were XP Pro.
    I copied e-mails to thumb drive and imported into OExp. I opened and read many of the e-mails, no problems. some I didnt open.

I had recent harddrive problems and had to re-install everything. I did backup docs, inclding OExp.

I again imported from bkup to OExp. Most all e-mails came up fine. Some I cant open at all.
    Even when I import entire bkup of DBX files.

It appears the problem is with the files I had not previously opened.

I very much need to open and read these files, some two years worth of info.

help!

artspc

3. Doughbroz

Doughbroz Thread Starter

Bump. Hellllllppppp!

4. artspc

artspc

Doughborz,

Not sure I follow your comment "Bump"

I know nothing about Vista and not much more about XP or OE.

Other member of forum solved my problem using Mail Viewer...here is copy of that info.

If they are not corrupted, use Mail Viewer. CLICK HERE (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html).

You may heve to copy and paste the address. I hope this helps.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

6. Doughbroz

Doughbroz Thread Starter

Thank you both so much for the help. Got it done, with one glitch. Saved messages would not transfer from the external hard drive, kept saying they were in use by some other program, even though there was nothing open except Windows Mail, which had to be open for the transfer. I also had them backed up on a CD, and transfering them from that was a snap. Marking solved, thanks again.
    :D (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/871646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice