1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transfer speeds via Gigabit network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rhapsody9, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhapsody9

rhapsody9 Thread Starter

Hi!

I just wanted to check if there's gonna be a significant change in transfer speeds if I purchase a gigabit switch/router for my NAS, I'm currently using Belkin N router with 10/100Mbps ports. All of my devices connected to the router have 1Gbps ethernet ports.

I have to transfer most of my files from NAS to PC and vice versa, and the transfer rates just seem very slow.

Thanks!

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

An N router IS 10/100/1000 :confused:

3. rhapsody9

rhapsody9 Thread Starter

N+ and N1 routers will have gigabit ports, the "N" version only has 10/100 ports.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you will get significant improvement. Just add a gigabit switch to the router and connect all your gigabit devices to the switch. When he sees this JohnWill no doubt will give you a more definite number as this is how his network is configured.

5. rhapsody9

rhapsody9 Thread Starter

Thanks, I just wanted to check since my friend doesn't want me to change my setup, he believes that the transfer speeds would stay the same.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your friend may be correct. I made one of those unstated assumptions w/o realizing I was doing so. I was thinking only of the network--the two gigabit adapters, two cables and a switch. Replace the 100 Mbps switch with 1000 Mbps and there is a significant improvement.

But the NAS, your hard drive and your computer each are limited as to how fast they can process the data. The limiting factor in the overall data transfer will probably be the lower of those 3 limits. If you are already hitting one of those maximums your friend is 100% correct.

7. rhapsody9

rhapsody9 Thread Starter

Hmm... I'm not sure how to check that. It's just my main concern is the transfer speed - I have transfer rate of 8+ MBps via the 10/100 ports on my router. I am even thinking of enabling jumbo frames on both my PC and NAS just to boost performance once I get a gigabit router but I'm not so sure anymore.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know how to check for those limits either. Maybe your friend can shed some light on why he is pessimistic.

Remember that you needn't replace your router; just adding a gigabit switch should be less expensive.

Around 8 MBps is what I expect on a network with 100 Mbps ethernet being the limiting factor.

9. rhapsody9

rhapsody9 Thread Starter

I'll mark this thread solved. Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice