1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transfering desktop/files from Admin to user profile

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lefsalady, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lefsalady

lefsalady Thread Starter

I set up a user profile given I'd been using my administrator user profile all along. Now how do I copy my desktop and browser, files to my user profile? I have Windows 7 Home Office Professional on my PC

2. ETech7

ETech7

You can't copy browser, but you can export/backup bookmarks and then import/restore them. What do you mean by copying desktop?

3. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Go in under administrator ID - copy files you have on the desktop and or folders - open – Computer – (formally known as My Computer in XP Pro) then click on C drive, then click on users then click on the ID you want those files to go to, and then right click desktop and paste on to THAT desktop

To transfer your favourites over open Internet explorer and click on File, go down to Import and Export......

Put a Dot to Export to a file
    Click Next
    Tick Favourites option
    Click Next
    Favourite’s folder should be highlighted, if you only want to save some of those folders (if you have any folders) then just select those
    Click Next
    Click on Browse
    Pick a location you want to save to (Ideally either on a USB or to the desktop of the other ID you want to add those favourites to.
    Name the file
    Click on Save
    Click on Export
    Click on Finish after you see the green tick saying it was successful

Sign out of the Administration ID and log in under the new ID you created and open Internet Explorer go to File and Import and Export.... again and reverse the process (as in this time you import and direct it to the file you have placed on the desktop or usb) and follow the prompts

4. lefsalady

lefsalady Thread Starter

I am not having luck on the bookmarks. I use Firefox, so don't know if that is the problem. Can you try to walk me through it again? Thanks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The recent versions of Firefox are a bit annoying on how to find export/import. :(

Bookmarks - Show All Bookmarks - the resulting window has an "Import and Backup" menu that include both Export and Import (or Backup and Restore).

6. lefsalady

lefsalady Thread Starter

Gesh, finally got it! Lots of work it seems

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!