1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transfering files to a Vista computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by indiannika, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indiannika

indiannika Thread Starter

Well, I purchased a brand new tower for my husband which runs Vista. I figured I would just install our old hard drive into our new computer but the new tower to transfer our files, but only supports one hard drive. This opened a whole new can of worms as I discovered that there seem to be only two alternatives for mass moving of files from one computer to the other: 1)putting the two on one network and sharing the drive with the files we want to transfer 2)purchasing a cable that is pretty pricey for only going to be used once.
    I have tried and tried again to set up our network so that we could go the networking route but no matter what I do with this new Vista system, I can't connect to any of the XP computers in the household. I have looked at various help sites but I haven't found anything that has been useful to me. I hope that by asking real people I'll actually get answers I can use. Another question is this: can I connect my computers via any AM to AM USB cord or does it have to be the "easy transfer cable"? I've found some USBs that I am comfortable with purchasing pricewise but I'm afraid to buy them if they won't work for my purposes.
    Both computers run Home editions of their respective Windows editions. The network obviously works because all the XP computers in the household can "see" each other.
    Thanks so much for your help in advance. If I've left out something important, let me know.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Vista on the same LAN as the other computers? Pick one of the XPs. Can the Vista ping it by IP address? By name? Can the XP ping the Vista by IP address? By name?

3. indiannika

Oh dear... ping? I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. I am a dunce when it comes to networking. Yes, all computers are on the same LAN.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry. Maybe this will be more helpful. With the Vista and one XP ...

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
    (if Run not on Vista’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

5. unbidden

unbidden

You didn't mention what you have tried. In most cases the failure to see the Vista machine is due to a firewall issue and or the lack of having all pc's on the same workgroup name.

Have you reviewed this site:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/vista/010808vista_networking_tips.htm

Also, what I usually suggest is just trying to connect to Vista's 'Public' folder. The Public folder is already shared by default; you can transfer all relevant data to that folder and then move things from there.

6. indiannika

Thank you TerryNet! So much more useful than trying to figure out Vista. I can't believe that Microsoft thinks Vista makes things easier. Took good ol' dos to figure that one out. :p

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome; it's good ol' fashioned trouble shooting. So, what did you find and fix?

8. indiannika

I found that Vista was getting in my way... nothing to fix. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice