1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transfering files to new computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ottmom, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ottmom

ottmom Thread Starter

I have a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 7. I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP. I realize I need to move my Firefox bookmarks and MS Office Outlook address book to the new computer.

1. How do I do this?

2. Are there any other files or info I should transfer?

I'm trying to avoid losing anything if the old laptop dies (no signs, just old). I store all my program backups, pictures and documents on a portable hard drive and cds.

3. Should I be doing more? I notice my Lenovo automatically backs up every day.

Thanks, Karen

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. ottmom

ottmom Thread Starter

Office 2010 is on the computer, I just have to purchase a license, so yes, I imagine I would continue to use Outlook for my main email.

Thank you so much for your help.

Karen

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    They have changed the way they bundle there products in office now - so you may find outlook is not included in the standard office 2010 product and you need to purchase "home and business " or "professional" , which is quite expensive

see here http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Microsoft/Office-Professional-2010-1-PC-1-user for what products are included in what versions

you could use thunderbird instead of outlook for free
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

if you install thunderbird on the OLD PC - it will see that outlook exists and then ask if you want to transfer all your contact, email information onto thunderbird
    once you have that setup on the old PC
    you can use
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    to backup thunderbird on the old PC
    copy that across to the new PC with thunderbird installed and restore and you will have all your old mails, contacts on the new machine in thunderbird
    i have done this quite a few times for people works really well
    OR
    you will need to use something like windows live mail on the new machine and export the contacts info from outlook on the old machine and import on the new machine - using a CSV format

5. daveh24706

daveh24706

what os is your old pc. windows easy transfer wizard is probably your best bet if you want to transfer your office data aswell.

6. ottmom

ottmom Thread Starter

The old pc is XP Home. I believe we will be purchasing the Military HUP Office Professional. Is Thunderbird easy to use? What are the differences? Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!