1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transferring files to a new C. by "wire"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redoak, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

I believe there is a way to "wire together" two computers so that selected info on one presently in use can be transferred to a new one. I will have a new OS (XP PRO), so the old OS (XP Home) would not be transferred. Specific recs regarding hardware/software for doing this would be appreciated.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Easiest method is to mount the old disk using the connectors of the CD in the new system. THen transfer to your hearts content.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

If both pc's have a nic, you can connect with a crossover network cable ( different from a rugular cat5 network cable) and create a little network to move files. If you have cd burner in the old one, you can move files that way. Temporarily installing the drive in the new machine is the simplest if you are comfortable opening up the cases.

You can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus on the new machine.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

wrs

4. redoak

Thanks for the suggestions. For me, the "Wizard" approach appears the best, since I am not familiar with moving computer parts. I have the site with instructions bookmarked for future reference.

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

You can use a USB to USB laplink cable.

This one is available in UK

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040918093533857&moduleno=25600

Similar cables available most places

Simple plug and play, two adjacent Windows Explorer like Windows, move files at your hearts content simply and easily.

Not Formula One speeds, but provided both machines have USB. You don't even have to take the top off to get inside the computer.

The cables may be available at USB 2 speeds by now, but you would need USB 2 on both computers to use USB 2 anyway

Networking or moving hard disk is the solution I would use, but if you are not comfortable taking the top off it is very easy.

hth

Ceri

6. redoak

ceri S.: Thanks for posting re USB cables. My old machine will be USB 1 and the new USB 2. Will a USB 1 cable work going into a USB 2 machine? Also, thanks for the link. I will be able to see specs re cable(s) and know what to look for here in the USA.
    {redoak}

7. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

hi,

If the cable is USB 1.1 it will work fine in a USB 2 port. It just will not work at USB 2 speeds.

I have moved as much as 8GB of data from a laptop I'd just rescued, to my own machine so I could then copy it to CDR for the laptop's owner. Took around 45 minutes.

Ceri

8. redoak

Ceri: I believe I have found the right "article." Does this appear to be what I need?
    "HIGH-SPEED DATA TRANSFER; Multi-link USB File Transfer and Network Cable; USB 2.0; No external power supply; Super fast file transfer up to 500 Mbps"
    There is a 1.1 USB cable available for $19.99 US. The manufacturer is BAFO.

There is no mention of software, which the "FAQ" page for the site in the UK says comes with their's. Can I assume the US product will come with software?

I will much appreciate your response.
    {redoak}

9. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Redoak,

The cable would only work at USB 2 speeds if you are connecting two computers which are USB 2. If either of them are USB 1, then you will be working at USB 1 speeds.

Please post a link to the site, so I can have a look.

thanks

Ceri

10. redoak

11. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

From what I've read on that page the cable is USB 1.1. It will not be ultra fast but will move the data from one machine to the other safely.

Ceri

12. redoak

Ceri: Thanks for following thru. I have to use the USB 1.1 cable because my "old" computer does not have USB 2.0. Otherwise, I take it that the cable in the catalog is the proper one for what I want to do.
    {redoak}

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice