1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transferring Files To New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HowdeeDoodee, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

I need to install a new hard drive on my system. I need to replace the drive C from which all programs, including Windows XP, boot. I have 240 programs installed on the machine I am using now with the old drive. What is the best way to transfer programs from the old drive to the new drive? I have Spotmau PowerSuite Pro available but have never used PowerSuite.

Thank you in advance for your rreplies.

2. bowmar

bowmar

Use Ghost, have both drives installed, then Ghost the partion from Old Drive to new, it automatically uses new hard drive size and you still have all programs Etc.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use and recommend acronis true image for cloning, image files, etc. IMO a much better app than ghost. Right now you can get acronis home ver for $19.99 after a rebate at newegg.

4. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you for the replies. Does Acronis automatically partition or do I have to partition before I use Acronis? Thank you again.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You never partition the new drive with acronis; just install it like it comes out of the box. In the advanced mode, it will let you decide on the same percentage for partitions [as the old drive] the same size OR it will let you resize any partitions. In normal mode I think it just uses the same percentage for making partitions on the new drive.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Detailed instructions for cloning with acronis;

1 Install new drive and connect data and power cables. If these are both ide type drives, then set the jumper on the new one to slave. Do not attempt to partition or format the new drive

2 Pw ON the system and boot with your acronis boot CD that the app has you make

3 Choose clone drive and select source [old drive] and destination [new drive]

4 Complete the clone process and shut down DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. Now if you are using ide, jumper the new drive as master. Pull the power connector from the old drive. You can jump this one as a slave if you intend to use it for storage.

5 Once done, you can power ON however make sure the old drive has the power connector pulled. If you are sure everything works OK and drive letters are correct, you can shutdown and reconnect your old drive as a slave drive for storage.

Note if you are using sata, then you can disregard the part about jumpers. There are no jumpers for sata except a speed limit jumper to work with older systems.

7. dsweeney

dsweeney

Hi all,I wish to do a similar change on dell inspiron 2500 laptop from old ide 20 gb hard drive to ide 160 gb HD and have bought spotmau power suite o8 as well.will this software allow me clone complete c drive and all on old drive to an external source; ie cd/dvd format disk or external hard drive and then clone back to new 160 gb hard drive.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you have a question, please start your own thread rather than posting on the thread of someone else.
    I have never used that "suite" of tools however from the reviews I see on the net, it is not worth much. If you want to clone a drive, either buy acronis true image OR use the drive maker's utility which should have a clone/disk copy option.

9. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you for the response.

10. dsweeney

dsweeney

many thanks crjdriver for info,new to this forum and will learn fast and from what i read you know your computers set-up, and i will try what you said, one thing is i am trying to do with what i wrote is on a laptop and do not understand yet about slave/master cabling.
    regards danny.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!