1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transferring hard drive to new machine (xp pro) help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjamnz, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

I would like to take my hard drive out of an inexpensive gateway desktop i just purchased and to transplant it as primary drive on a new computer (that im going to build)

This old gateway is slow... its an ide drive that has xp pro and office and a bunch of other software i really like on the drive.

Ive heard there is hardware profiles snapshot/licensing issue. i dont have xp cd or key.. as this was purchased used for 75 bux.

Is this going to work permanently?

Im just hoping to talk to someone whos done a few transplants, and dont want to waste my time with something that just might not work out for more than 30 days.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll need to buy a copy of Windows with a valid license number if you do not have the CD and key. Aside from that the Gateway license is an OEM license that can only be legally used on that Gateway and no other computer. SAme goes for the other software - if no key its not legal.

Moving a current installation of Windows XP rarely works, it usually requires a repair install or a full format and reinstall - the latter being the much better solution.

3. jackdw

jackdw

If it is a full license of XP then you can install it on a new PC as long as the old one is not used again.
    Although I suspect you have a OEM key which live and dies with each PC. Your best bet is to leave the old computer as it is, get a new hard drive for the new PC (sata is best if your mobo will support it) and get either a OEM or full license key.

It wouldn't work even if you tired it as windows was installed and configured for your old computer which (I assume) is very different to your new build. Therefore it won't work.

4. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips... makes sense.

Ok.. i must confess.

What im really concerned about is the office 03 software that came with my gateway. I really just wanted "that" software on a better pc. as i have no cd for that either.

The performance on the gateway isnt really that bad. so ya... i'll probably just have to chalk it up on this one, and buy a new xp licence.

ive seen alot of oem's for like 50 bux online... but am always worried about being scammed...(installing it, and microsoft says "no" :eek: to genuine validation. Either way...The software still retails for 250 to 300 in most stores. Wonder why the price hasnt been cut in half yet? )

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, if you have no license then its not even a legal copy. Software like MS Office 2003 can not be distributed without the accompanying license.

OpenOffice.org is a free alternative that has most of the features of MS Office except Outlook.

OEM licenses are fine and legal as they go with a new system or build, but they become married to the system they are originally installed on and cannot be transferred. Also Microsoft does not provide technical support for OEM versions, they still activate just fine and get all updates no problem. As long as you buy from a reputable place you'll be fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice