(Solved) Transferring Programs from CD to HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kirkland

I have AALLLLL this Hard Drive space, but yet, I often have to do the "CD swappie" dance.
I want to transfer some of my many programs from CD to fill the gaping chasms of space on my hard drives.
It aggravates me no end to have to swap or insert disks to get information I need.
e.g. From my "Microsoft WorksSuite 2001," Disk 7: "Microsoft Expedia Streets & Maps" run CD, you must insert the CD to make maps-etc.. Or, from the same WorksSuite, "Microsoft Home Publishing" having to swap 3 (three!!) #@$%#$ CDs to acess all of MSHP. The same goes for games or any program requiring disk swapping*sw*.
*sw*Anyone old enough to remember the grinding agony of "floppie swapping" will understand my frustration...

I know there is a "universal" way to load the entire contents of CDs (shortcuts and all), and be done with the CDs (except as backups or to repair files).

Wouldeth not some kind stranger guideth this blind (and apparently dufus) Pilgrim alongst the straight and true path to enlightenment? :confused:

Kirkland
Never have done it myself but here is a site and a paragraph from the site that tells how to do it.
Website

Run Your Favorite CD-ROMs From Your Hard Drive

If you're lucky enough to have one of the latest high capacity hard drives and you have loads of empty space on it, you can run your favorite CDs from it instead of your CD drive. Games and applications will run much faster. Just create a folder somewhere on your hard drive (preferably have this partitioned into two or more drives – see elsewhere in Tips’N’Tricks – and place the folder on a separate drive to that which holds your operating system) and copy all the files on the CD into that folder. You will need to change the ‘Target’ on desktop shortcuts, where the computer must look in order to find the programme. Right click the icon and select Properties, to do this.

Also here are two sites that offer software to do the same.
http://www.v-com.com/product/cd_ind.html
http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product=151
Hope that helps.
Dave

Kirkland

Originally posted by davey7549
Kirkland
Never have done it myself but here is a site and a paragraph from the site that tells how to do it.
Website

Run Your Favorite CD-ROMs From Your Hard Drive

If you're lucky enough to have one of the latest high capacity hard drives and you have loads of empty space on it, you can run your favorite CDs from it instead of your CD drive. Games and applications will run much faster. Just create a folder somewhere on your hard drive (preferably have this partitioned into two or more drives – see elsewhere in Tips’N’Tricks – and place the folder on a separate drive to that which holds your operating system) and copy all the files on the CD into that folder. You will need to change the ‘Target’ on desktop shortcuts, where the computer must look in order to find the programme. Right click the icon and select Properties, to do this.

Also here are two sites that offer software to do the same.
http://www.v-com.com/product/cd_ind.html
http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product=151
Hope that helps.
Dave
Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online