1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Transferring XP to Another Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JonStan, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonStan

JonStan Thread Starter

This is probably been asked before in various forms, but if there is an expert out there who knows the answer, then that would be greatly appreciated.

My Windows XP recently became corrupted and I had to do a fresh install. About a year and a half ago, I had a hard disk fail and I again had to do a fresh install. As you know, re-loadingXP with all the programs and settings can take hours.

I want to be able to take an image/copy of my working XP and place it on another disk, so that in the event of an XP or hard disk failure, I can just swap the backup disk into the PC and be up and running.

Because the image disk is going back into the same PC, there shouldn't be any driver/chipset conflict issues - that is, I shouldn't have to reset the drivers to standard Microsoft ones before taking the disk copy.

However, when I place the back-up hard disk with the image copied on to it back into the SAME PC, and boot up, I see the normal black screen with the large Windows logo on it, and then the blue screen that follows.

Normally, the blue screen has the words 'Welcome' on it and then it disappears to show the desktop. But with the swapped-in disk, the boot-up STOPS at this blue screen. The blue screen does not show 'Welcome' and instead shows a small colour Windows XP logo, and proceeds no further.

Is this what I should expect? It is not possible to clone an XP environment? If it should be possible to do this, what is wrong?

I have tried SysPrep and I think I had the same issue (although in that case I was cloning from my second PC which has different hardware - even though I did set the drivers to the Microsoft standard ones). I am of the impression that SysPrep is a tool to assist in the registration and initialisation process of a new PC. But I think I had the same stall on boot-up issue.

The fact that a tool like SysPrep exists suggests that it should be possible to clone an environment onto a new PC (and following on that it may be re-registered/validated in the usual way)

My goal is to create a backup disk to save the many hours re-installing Windows and all the associated programs and settings in the event of corruption or disaster. It is such a nuisance to have to start from scratch.

Is there anyone out there with a knowledgeable authorative answer on this? Thanks,

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG, JonStan.

There are a lot of us on the site that use Acronis. You have to purchase it, but it does save all the hours of reinstalling drivers, programs, and updates. There are some freeware ones out there, but I don't know their names off the top of my head. If you search the forum for "hard drive clone" or "hard drive image" you should run across a lot of similar threads, they should give you more program choices.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. koen7

koen7

Try and google how wrong driver letter assignment can play tricks on you.

5. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't mean to highjack this thread but I want to do the exact same thing so I am following this thread,,but I checked the Paragon site and it doesn't backup xp sp3 and the Macrium looks like it doesn't do continuous backup,at least in the free version.I checked the Acronis and it is about $65 canadian,a little pricey,
    I have a couple more questions on doing a clone to an external HDD but should I start a new thread or continue here?
    Sorry if I'm infringing on Jonstan's thread.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The trial DL of Acronis is fully functional for 15 days

You should be able to Clone to an internal or external HD and swap drives anytime you wish.

Instead of Cloning .. I prefer to make a backup Image of my system to a data file in an external HD ..
    Then install a new HD and recover it from the backup Image

Having a Spare HD with a Fresh install of Windows in it is very handy.
    Then next best .. Is to have a backup Image file of your Fresh install.
    Better yet .. Have both

7. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

i use XXClone. its free. free doesn't mean inferior.

http://www.xxclone.com/

it will clone everything sector by sector from one hdd to another. you can select from its Cool Tools (after the cloning is done), to make the new cloned hdd bootable.

from my testing it works perfect :D

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

10. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

i can understand that......here it takes 7 hours to wipe and reload everything with a fresh reinstall and one's apps. its a labour of love :eek:

best way is to grab one of the many apps (many :D ) that Elvandil listed, burn it together with a backup of your user files to an external media, wipe your hdd (A), reinstall XP and all apps all backup, tweak tune tweak tune......when you are satisfied that "that is it !" (if ide hdd e.g.) leave your boot hdd (A) on Master Primary, switch Master Secondary cable from optical drive to another hdd (B), partition/format the target hdd (B) in Disk Management to at least the size that you are going to clone. Clone from boot drive (A) to that target hdd (B). Done.

in future, to clean reinstall with all apps and settings intact, hook up cloned backup drive (B) as Master Primary with target hdd (A) as Master Secondary, wipe target hdd (A) in Disk Management - set up partition/s format, start clone from hdd (B) to target hdd (A), go out and mow the lawn for 45 minutes, come back done ! physically remove hdd (B) from PC, reattach hdd (A) as Master Primary, reattach Secondary cable to optical drive.......

with XXClone it works like a treat (y)

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why reinstall and then restore the clone? Restoring wipes out the installation.

12. bbearren

bbearren

I use BootIt Next Generation, which is not only an imaging tool but a whole lot more. I can put in a new hdd, plug it into the first SATA port, put BootIt's single floppy into the floppy drive and boot from it, format the hdd with NTFS, and start restoring my images from DVD. Not only does BootIt restore the images, it also restores my partitions to the same sizes, and the hdd is immediately bootable with no further action on my part, other than to remove the floppy and reboot.

I could also accomplish the same thing using images on a USB portable hdd, or a firewire portable hdd, just by booting from the BootIt NG floppy.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're the one! I just got a copy of BooIt the other day and was trying to remember who it was in this forum that had praised this program. It certainly does do a lot of the same things that more complicated and more expensive programs do. I just wish that image compression was as good as Acronis.

It has been a long time since I used it (Win98).

14. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

"Why reinstall"
    because it gives a starting point, being a "clean install" of the OS + all your generally used apps and tweaks. then you clone that.

"and then restore the clone?"
    you would restore the clone down the track when/if needed. THAT clone restore avoids the labour of love of reinstalling everything from scratch.

hope i explained that correctly lol.

:)

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

You don't seem to understand. When a clone is restored, it erases everythiung on the drive. So the new installation would also be erased. So it is a waste of time to put it there at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice