1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: travelmate 3200

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by philjar, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philjar

philjar Thread Starter

Can I install win98se onto a tm3200 ?,I get the impression that the 3200 is for winxp only

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the hardware specifications site that I see for the Acer TravelMate 3200 laptop, it has an Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz processor, 512 MB of PC2700 SDRAM, a 60 GB hard drive, and comes with Windows XP pre-installed.

I'm a bit bewildered as to why you want to depart from Windows XP and downgrade to Windows 98SE. It's a 10-year old operating system that's much less secure and functional than Windows XP. You're also going to have difficulty or find it impossible to find drivers and hardware and software that works with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. philjar

philjar Thread Starter

Thanks for your interest.Iwant to install win98se so as to play older type games,Ihave a desktop pc with winxp for later games.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You may be able to play the games with Windows XP by changing the compatibility mode they play in from Windows XP to Windows 98.

Like I previously said, you may find it difficult or impossible to get Windows 98 drivers for the display adapter, sound device, and internet connection. If you can't find drivers, the screen resolution will be too large and the color washed out, there won't be any sound, and there won't be any internet connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. philjar

philjar Thread Starter

Yes I know I can use winxp with compatibility to play some older games,this was not the question the question was Can I install win98se onto a TM3200 or not.Thanks

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

In order to install Windows 98 and still be able to use all the computer's hardware, you need to find Windows 98 drivers for everything. That's unlikely. If they're not on Acer's website, you'd have to do a search for each component and possibly its chipset to see if anyone has found something that works. It'll take some time and be hit or miss.

7. philjar

philjar Thread Starter

Thanks very much for info and prompt reply.

8. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The best answer I can give you is maybe. Most of the information I have comes from MSFN's forum on 95/98/98SE/ME. They have a list of hardwre that is known to still work with these OS's.

Pentium M processor is not listed, but 98SE has worked with Pentium IV and D's upto 3.0 GHz. With duals it only uses one core.

It supports ATA IDE hard drives upto 137 GB, also most IDE optical drives.

You might want to check there and see if Motherboard and other hardware is listed..

As Flavallee said, finding drivers will be the biggest problem.

9. philjar

philjar Thread Starter

Thanks for your help

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice