1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Travelocity Pop-ups

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by toddo0254, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toddo0254

toddo0254 Thread Starter

Using IE 7, Windows XP SP2.

The pop-up blocker seems to work on every site except Travelocity. What's so special about what they do and/or can I prevent pop-ups on their website and still use the it?

Thanks

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I don't know how they do their pop-ups. I get them with Firefox, Opera, and Safari too.

Peace...

3. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

I don't get any popups on travelocity.com or .co.uk in FireFox or IE :confused: but I'd recommend Adblock Plus anyway.
    www.getfirefox.com <-- You know you should :D

4. tomdkat

Go to Travelocity.com and search for a flight somewhere. After you enter your trip parameters and click "Search", a popup appears while it searches for flights making your search criteria.

Peace...

5. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

It's Javascript that's opening the window. I think the reason why it's not blocked is because it comes from that site not from another site (which is where adverts would come from). I also think it's quite poor that their site won't work with older browsers that don't support Javascript (but that's just the web designer in me talking :D)

6. tomdkat

So, the popup appeared for you too?

Peace...

7. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Yeah, I did what you said and searched for a flight. I tried it without Javascript and the window didn't appear. The popup was just white though - did it have any content for you?

I'll be back online tomorrow (well today technecally :D)

8. tomdkat

Yeah, for me the popup had an ad of some kind.

Peace...

9. toddo0254

toddo0254 Thread Starter

Most pop-ups are ads are from outside sites that pop-up from the site currently being browsed. They therefore can be identified because they have a different website name from the website you are using. www.mysite.com might pop-up a window, but the pop-up is an ad from ads.adserver.com. The pop-up blocker recognizes that fact, and doesn't allow the new window to open.

But, Travelocity pop-ups ALL come from Travelocity.com. Since it is a pop-up from the same site, the blocker simply recognizes it as a new window opening, as if you were opening a form or some other desirable new window.

It is Javascript that is opening the new windows in Travelocity. Now, I can't block all scripts because Javascript needs to run on some parts of the site in order for Travelocity to work right. I still need javascript to run the calendars and other desirable functionality. So I figured that if I had a tool that could block scripts selectively somehow, that might work.

Fortunately, I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. There is an add-on called NoScript. It not only blocks scripts by site but by subsite, or however you refer to a longer name, as well. So I can set it to block scripts from www.techguy.org but not forums.techguy.org. Pretty cool!!

So, it turns out that if I use NoScript I don't block scripts from travel.travelocity.com, which I put on a whitelist, but block all the rest, I get all the functionality that I want but none of the pop-ups. Yes!!!

Now, NoScript is a bit of a pain to use because you have to whitelist everything you want to work right. And you have to be sophisticated enough to figure out what sites need to be allowed and which don't. But there is a little bar that pops up at the bottom of the screen when scripts are blocked that has a button that allows you to immediately whitelist whatever. But this should be used judiciously. It is very tempting to just globally whitelist everything so the annoying bar doesn't pop up. This is because every page has javascript, and usually more than one javascript program running on it these days and you keep having to whitelist not only every page but several scripts on a page.

So, listen up, unsophisticated users. Those that are easily annoyed or don't want functionality blocked until they tell the program to go ahead allow this or that site to work, or don't understand why there are "Scripts Partially Allowed" and just want the darn thing to work, DON'T use this program.

But sophisticated users that want control over when javascript runs and when it doesn't, this is an excellent tool!(y)

In my original post, I said I use IE6. That's at work. At home, I use Firefox. So I still have the same problem at work but at least I know my choices.

10. tomdkat

Great! Thanks for the update! (y)

Peace...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice