1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trend Micro - network virus blocked

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mreddys10, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just installed the Trend Micro Internet Security today. Before this, i was using AVG free with Spyware Terminator. After the installation (which required that i uninstall ALL of my security software like spywareblaster and spybot s&d - it was such a pain u know where), i ran the first scan and it found 6 spywares and 2 virus. These files have been quarantined.

My problem is this:
    Network virus blocked: MS04-011_LSASS_EXPLOIT
    I keep getting a notification every hour or so from Trend Micro about a network virus that it has blocked, and everytime this happens, my net connection slows to a crawl. This is really frustrating cause i am downloading files and its taking forever. Even my yahoo messenger was not opening. i reinstalled it, then it would open, but not connect. So i installed an older version and it is working fine, but my voice calls thru yahoo get cut evrytime i get this msg. I clicked on "more info" for this virus, and it advices that i get a patch from Microsoft, and a link for this is also provided.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

The thing is, i cant really understand what it says in this page cause its talking about a security vulnerability for Windows NT server, while i have XP home SP2 installed. The bulletin is also 4 years old. I downloaded the security update on this page for XP service pack 1, and wen i try to install it, it says i already have a newer version of the service pack and i dont need the patch. Can anyone help?

My windows is updated and automatic updates are on.

2. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi,
    just a quick update:

My shutdown time has also increased from about 10 sec to abt 2 min now. everytime i shutdown, one of the programs (Uber icons) has a problem closing and i get the "end now" msg and after that, all the other programs running in the background take forever to close. Pls help if u can.

Should i just uninstall trend micro and use a diff setup like avast free and spybot s&d? i really cant afford to buy a diff antivirus now.....

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

In the security suite, there should be a setting for alerts or notifications about items blocked....turn off this alert, for this item, if a single item can be set that way....

Network virus blocked: MS04-011_LSASS_EXPLOIT

*It's usually safe to turn off notices for items that ARE BLOCKED...you don't need to be bugged every minute when the firewall runs into something...these things (the exploits) are around us trying to gain access all the time, but if the system IS patched...they should not be able to harm anything...and, your security suite will be alerting you if one does.

((You are turning off only the BLOCKED entry....not the full item from being detected....only the notifications for that item))

I wish I knew exactly where it was located, but you should be able to find it easily enough, in the program settings.

4. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

hi byteman. thanks for the reply, but i have just decided to get rid of this security suite and now have avast/spyware terminator/comodo installed. everything is so much better, including the memory usage. Programs open faster, no problems with shutdown either.
    thank you for taking the time to reply. i am marking this as solved :)

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Not a problem! You have to go with what works smoothly, since not all suites or programs will behave for everyone.

Usually, turning off the firewall's notifications about all the attempts to get into your computer results in things working better. You can check the Blocked items list to see exactly what is around you...but don't let it scare you too much. Keep up with Windows Updates...I know, there are some that have screwed up sometimes, but the percentages show that the benefit far outweighs not patching the system. Advanced users can browse the list of available updates and select what they want to install....or configure Windows Update to not be automatic....or, you can select to download the Updates, but not install them right away....you'd have to remember to install them later on, and that is risky.

I gave up using firewalls, I have a hardware router connected to the broadband cable modem and some protection running....can't say as I have noticed any difference without a full firewall.

The Windows XP Security Center should show that the XP Firewall is turned off/disabled....that is because you are using another firewall, Comodo.

You can change the way the XP Security Center alerts you: If you are seeing these, it's because XP sometimes does not "catch on" that you are using 3rd party firewall, or which antivirus program you are using....

http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/seccenteralert.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablescalerts.mspx

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice