1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tried Recovery using Partition - Lost all files?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HAJ32, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HAJ32

HAJ32 Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have started using windows 8 now as my work PC and wanted to make a recovery drive, just in case.
    I have a 128GB SSD (for the Win8 OS) and a 2TB HD for all my work files, videos, photos, music and so on.

I wanted to make a recovery drive so I went to Disk Management and created a small 32GB partition.

Then went onto Create a Recovery Drive. It did say that the drive would be cleared, but I presumed that it just meant that partition.

I now have 1.9TB of unallocated space (that im hoping my files are still on) but im worried anything i try might wipe it for good.

The main reason I think that the files are still there is that the 'formatting' took less than 5 seconds.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,

It looks like the volume has been deleted. Sad to say "yes".

3. Lucky09

Lucky09

You can have your 1.9TB allocated again. it's just nothing is on it. If you want to still create 32GB Partition, you can just shrink it from the 1.9TB after you have allocated it again.

4. HAJ32

HAJ32 Thread Starter

Is there no way to recover the data?

Purely down to the fact it was so quick to 'delete' suggested that it may be still there?

5. Lucky09

Lucky09

I'm afraid no. The operation was done through disk management that's why it's really quick. Anyway, there is no other thing you can do about you're 1.9TB unallocated but to re-allocate it to be usable.

6. HAJ32

HAJ32 Thread Starter

I have tried to use Stellar Phoenix windows data recovery but the unallocated partition is not showing.... Come on.... There must be hope?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many of the files that ended up in the new partition have probably been overwritten. You can try data recovery programs to see if any are retrievable. I've used Recuva, and another that I have heard of is Restoration.exe.

I do not know if any free or low cost data recovery programs will look in unallocated space. You may have to create a partition and "quick" format it (don't write anything to the space) before using a program.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is there such a thing as "unallocated partition"?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  10. HAJ32

HAJ32 Thread Starter

thanks. I will try that now....wish me luck..........

11. raybro

raybro

Good recommendation TerryNet (y)

In the flurry and frenzy of having a new computer and Win 8 to play with, I deleted the Dell recovery and EFI partitions (yeah, really stupid :eek: :eek: ).

Although not exactly the same situation as HAJ32, Easeus recovered the partitions and they are working normally. So this is just another vote for Easeus Partition Master. Here's hoping it works for HAJ32 too.

12. HAJ32

HAJ32 Thread Starter

IT WORKED!! Everything back! TerryNet - you are a legend

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad it worked for you! In this issue I'm just a humble web searcher. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice