1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble accessing router's configuration page

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Morthian, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

My computer is connected wirelessly to a Linksys router, which is connected to the internet through a modem/router that my ISP provided. When I enter 192.168.0.1, I am taken to the configuration page for my ISP's router. How do I access the Linksys router's configuration page?

I have tried all sorts of combinations of 192.168.x.x, but nothing has worked. Is there a way to figure out the address the Linksys router's configuration page? ...or is there a reason I am unable to access it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

The Default Gateway (IPv4) is the address of the router.

3. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

It says the default gateway is "192.168.1.1", but that address still won't bring up the configuration page.

Firefox gives the error: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    ...and Chrome: Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.

So what's preventing me from accessing the router configuration page? =/

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disconnect the modem temporarily so that you can't access it. Then log into your router and give it a new address that does not conflict with the modem's.

5. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

It didn't work.

I also tried connecting my computer to the router with an ethernet cable, rather than using the wi-fi. (Still nothing.)

All I want to do is forward a port, and I can't because I can't access the router's config page. >_<

6. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

Ok, I figured it out. I needed to disconnect the ISP's modem from the router, then restart the Linksys router, THEN I was able to access the config page. I set the Linksys router gateway to 192.168.1.2, and the ISP router/modem/whatever remains at 192.168.0.1, and connects to the Linksys router at 192.168.0.2.

I'm still curious why the Linksys router can't use the 192.168.1.1 gateway though. I wish I had a better understanding of how exactly those last two octets of the network's IP's work...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the first (ISP's) router using LAN 192.168.0.x and the second (Linksys) router using LAN 192.168.1.x there is no conflict and I do not understand why you ran into this trouble. My only guess is that maybe the Linksys router was a little "confused" and the restart cleared its mind. Congrats for finding something that worked.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

In one case that I had problems with, the router and modem, though they had different IP's, were on different subnets, making access variable depending where DHCP originated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice