1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble cloning my HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donnyb, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donnyb

donnyb Thread Starter

I have an XP-SP2 system that has a 500 GB drive that I would like to clone onto a 250 GB drive. The 250 drive also has to be bootable into XP. Both drives are SATA-3 drives and are set to NTFS. The 500 GB drive probably has about 100 GB of data and is split into 4 partitions and contains the operating system on the C: drive. I would like to maintain the 4 partitions in an approximate scaled-down size. The 250 drive is mounted in a removable tray that can be inserted and selected as the boot drive during boot up or it can be removed from the system quite easily. I have tried to clone the 500 to the 250 but not successfully.

I have tried to use the current version of Acronis True Image using the clone drive choice. After entering the information, it reboots into a DOS-type mode and the clone seems to go OK (4 hours). When complete, I reboot and choose the 250 as the boot drive. During boot up I get an error message that says something about the operating system not functioning.

I also tried using the Western Digital utilities (the 250 drive is a WD drive). I used the part of the program that formats the drive and does the partition, then clones the drive. It runs its course (5 hours) but ends in an error message that says something about not being able to complete.

Any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like you are trying to clone the entire drive from larger to smaller. You'll need to create your new partitions, each larger than the data on the partition you want to clone to it, and then clone one partition at a time.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boot from the Acronis True Image Recovery CD (you create it with TI) and do the clone operation. I've done this operation several times and it's always worked for me.

4. donnyb

donnyb Thread Starter

If you are saying just repeat the process, and this time use the boot CD to start Acronis TI instead of starting from Windows, then I will try tonight. Is that correct?

5. donnyb

donnyb Thread Starter

One more question: Is it important to disconnect the source drive before rebooting the newly cloned drive?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. You should remove the old drive, put the new one in its position, and change the jumpers accordingly.

7. JohnWill

Correct.

8. donnyb

donnyb Thread Starter

I'm not sure why it worked, but it did! That is, booting TI from the CD as opposed to booting from Windows.

Thanks for the help.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Everything like this works better from the bootable CD when Windows isn't running, sometimes interfering with the process. Windows doesn't like the idea of 2 identical partitions that are both bootable.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools.

10. JohnWill

While Acronis TI usually works from the Windows boot, things sometimes do work better when booted from a CD. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice