Solved: Trouble connecting IDE devices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kracknuts

Hi i recently purchased a secondhand Hewett Packard Pavilion 4404. http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/303556/?s= <--are picts and details of the pc i bought.

It has a 3.2gb hdd, and I have 2 formatted 10gig hard drives (from xbox) that I would like to connect.
I am having problems when connecting more than 2 IDE drives to the system.
it appears to work fine when I have 2 IDE drives on, like one harddrive as the primary master and the cd rom as secondary slave.
when i connect more than 2 drives is when i have problems, usually it gets stuck on the Hewlett Packard screen at startup
I have tried using the cable select combinations on the jumpers as well as the normal settings.

this pc is a mini tower case and it is veery tight to get around... i cannot remove the cd rom drive out of its bay because i can only access screws on one side of it.. the other is on the mobo side. It is attached to the secondary master, and im presuming that the jumper is set to master.

The IDE cable on the secondary IDE port thingy is a normal kind, it is marked CPU board, Slave, Master on the connectors.
Whereas the IDE cable on the Primary IDE port thingy just has CPU Board and Master. It does not have a slave connector.

I have changed the primary ide cable to the normal type, wif slave and master plugs.

Maybe the primary ide port only can handle 1 drive?? but in bios it says:

primary master [none]
primary slave [none]
secondary master [CRD-83228B-(SM)]
secondary slave [ST310014A-(ss)]

I would like to connect atleast the 2 10gig hard drives and the cd rom to the system... if i cant get the noisey 3.2gig one in its alrite. Please help.

oh and could you please tell me how to access bios.. its not like the normal kinda pc where it comes up wif all the system specs and u press f10 or something.. it comes up wif the Hewlett packard screen then boots up straight away. Ive only managed to access bios by accident.

kracknuts said:
Hi i recently purchased a secondhand Hewett Packard Pavilion 4404. http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/303556/?s= <--are picts and details of the pc i bought.

It has a 3.2gb hdd, and I have 2 formatted 10gig hard drives (from xbox) that I would like to connect.
I am having problems when connecting more than 2 IDE drives to the system.
it appears to work fine when I have 2 IDE drives on, like one harddrive as the primary master and the cd rom as secondary slave.
when i connect more than 2 drives is when i have problems, usually it gets stuck on the Hewlett Packard screen at startup
I have tried using the cable select combinations on the jumpers as well as the normal settings.

this pc is a mini tower case and it is veery tight to get around... i cannot remove the cd rom drive out of its bay because i can only access screws on one side of it.. the other is on the mobo side. It is attached to the secondary master, and im presuming that the jumper is set to master.

The IDE cable on the secondary IDE port thingy is a normal kind, it is marked CPU board, Slave, Master on the connectors.
Whereas the IDE cable on the Primary IDE port thingy just has CPU Board and Master. It does not have a slave connector.

I have changed the primary ide cable to the normal type, wif slave and master plugs.

Maybe the primary ide port only can handle 1 drive?? but in bios it says:

primary master [none]
primary slave [none]
secondary master [CRD-83228B-(SM)]
secondary slave [ST310014A-(ss)]

I would like to connect atleast the 2 10gig hard drives and the cd rom to the system... if i cant get the noisey 3.2gig one in its alrite. Please help.

oh and could you please tell me how to access bios.. its not like the normal kinda pc where it comes up wif all the system specs and u press f10 or something.. it comes up wif the Hewlett packard screen then boots up straight away. Ive only managed to access bios by accident.
Maybe the IDE controller is bad on that computer. Have you tried hooking up the two devices on one IDE controller and then on the other to make sure they both work? In other words, boot up with just two devices on the one controller and nothing on the other, than switch them.

Restart the PC and enter the BIOS screen by pressing the F1 or F10 key at the first screen. Could be that the primary ide controller is turned off

kracknuts

ok ive tried looking into bios to check that all the controllers are enabled. They are all set to auto detect, and I have managed to get a drive working on each controller (PM, PS, SM,SS)... just not all at the same time.

Anway i had a play around wif all the drive configurations.
It seems that everything works perfectly fine if theres only one drive on each master controller, regardless if the jumper is set to cable select or what it should be. And it seems that if i connect a drive to the slave controller it must be set to Cable select

the problem arises when i connect more than one drive to the same controller.

here are some combinations I tried today:

Combinations that didnt work:

Secondary Slave = HDD (slave jumper)

Secondary Master = HDD (cable select) Secondary Slave = HDD (Cable Select)
this combination wouldnt allow me to boot from windows on the secondary master hard drive. when booting dos from floppy it was able to detect only C drive (secondary slave)

Secondary Master = HDD(master setting) Secondary Slave = HDD (cable select)
same as above.... but did not boot the second time

Combinations that did work:
Secondary Slave = HDD (Cable Select)

Also by accident this screen came up when trying to put a hard drive as secondary master... ive only seen this screen 2 times.. it doesnt always show up. This may be of use coz there is an error message

CPU = AMD (tm)-2 333
640k system RAM passed
0512k cache SRAM passed
System Bios Shadowed
Video Bios Shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: EB1A
Mouse initialised
Fixed disk 0: ST 310014A-(SM)
System Configuration data updated
ERROR
0251: System CMOS checksum bad - default configuration used

press <F1> to enter SETUP

kracknuts

Oh also i tried setting the value of the hard drive specs in bios. (cylinders, heads, etc)

like make it not auto detect and set to UDT.

unfortunately that didnt work :(

You may have a problem with your power supply--that is once you try three or four devices you have problems. Try disconnecting some fans/floppy or other stuff that uses power.

Some drives require specific jumper settings if being used as a Master only, Master w/ slave etc....
check jumpers again on each drive to be sure
If any of your drives have this sort of setting, it has to be set this way and CS (cable select) setting will not work.

good luck
Swiper

kracknuts

Mulder, I have reason to believe you are a clever chap indeed.

upon taking your advice, I removed the CDrom power plug and tried plugging the 2 hdds to the primary IDE cable wif the 2power cables labeled hdd. And what do you know it works.

Reading the instructions for changing drives on the HP website it said to press the power button once the Mains power cord was removed - this caused the led on the case to light up briefly. (maybe to discharge capacitors so u dont get zapped?)

So I try and see how many devices it can handle. And what do you know, I'm able to connect all 4 devices now!

I hope things will stay this way, do you think pressing that box button had something to do wif it? The Power supply in this case is veery small, (minitower box) using 4 devices uses all of its plugs.

Well, if you do have a power supply problem (that is not enough power) it may work, but you will have problems--crashes, etc.

What is your power supply (what's the total watts, in other words?)

kracknuts

The power supply is a tiny fella. Its 100watts. Running on the machine is 2*10gig HDDs, a 3.2gig hdd, cd rom, floppy, PCI landcard and soundcard. Do ya think he can handle the jandle?

kracknuts said:
The power supply is a tiny fella. Its 100watts. Running on the machine is 2*10gig HDDs, a 3.2gig hdd, cd rom, floppy, PCI landcard and soundcard. Do ya think he can handle the jandle?
No--100 Watts is not enough for all that. You need to upgrade your power supply--go for 300 to 350 minimum. Even if you weren't having problems, I would say to upgrade. That Power supply was made to handle one hard drive and one CD ROM in addition to the MOBO and fans and that's about it.

kracknuts

Thank you for the advice. I will take that into consideration in upgrading my $20 machine

Oh and one more thing. I have a PSU from another very very ancient computer... not sure wat the wattage is... here is some figures on it

input 116v - 6A 60hz
230v - 3.5A 50hz

output +5v -5v +12v -12v
max(A) 20A 8A 0.5A

would this be suitable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online