1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Trouble fitting new ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by innus, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. innus

innus Thread Starter

Hi, I've got a comp with 128mb DDR 2100 TWINMOS ram in it. I bought some crucial memory of the same sort, but I can't get it working in my computer. I have reseated it loads, and pushed down as hard as I dared (very), I have tried it on its own, and with the other ram, but my comp justs bleeps at me when its in, but the computer is fine without it. I'm sure the memory is the same type. The only visual difference is that my current memory has 8 black thingy's on it (modules?) and the new one only has 4.

Any suggestions?:confused:

2. flyeater

flyeater

If your certain it's the right ram maybe you accidently zapped it. Static electricity will kill ram. Always keep removed chips (most PC parts) in an anti-static bag. Ground yourself before you touch the ram or reach into your case. An anti-static wristband is used for this purpose but you can just touch the frame of your case if it's steal to get rid of any charge on you. I always remain seated or plant my feet while reaching into my case. Oh yeah keep the cat out of the room while you work on it too. I went to buy some ram from a small retailer once. He actually walked across a carpeted room with it and dropped the bare unwrapped ram on the counter. Billed himself as the "computer expert", the oaf. Needless to say I have'nt been back since.
    The only other thing I can say is to try the ram in another machine.

3. innus

innus Thread Starter

I used an antistatic writststrap attached to my comp case with plug in but turned off to earth me. Hopefuly the case is made of some conducting metal :( otherwise i could have blown it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you say your sure it's compatible, could you have registered and non-registered modules? They aren't compatible, as I will attest from a mistake in my past! :)

5. innus

innus Thread Starter

Well, my m/b supports both, but the crucial doesn't even work by its self, with the other stuff removed. And registered is more expensive isn't it? i've 99% sure they are the same

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

7. innus

innus Thread Starter

Its ok, took it to a shop, they fitted it. Said it was just a really tight fit. The guy actually cut his hand whilst doing it and had to go to casualty for 2 stitches!

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

innus
    Glad all is well! Two stitches eh!!! Dedicated Tech I must admit or it got down to Him or it!;)

Dave

9. innus

innus Thread Starter

Yeah lol - must be strong m/b though, to withstand so much pressure that his hand slipped and sawed of flesh. Ah well, all's well that ends well, as they say somewhere;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!